Views
Helpful
Replies

% STANDBY-3-DIFFVIP1 error message in cisco switch

Suresh Babu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

As the subjected error might be know thing but wanted in detailed explanation.

I am running with Cisco 6500 series switches as core devices and running VLAN 10 as management, here I got an issue while bridging a connectivity from one access switch to another core device which was in isolation and working as core switch (Which contains 5 VLANs) to another building till then, Once I gave the connectivity to that I lost the reachability to all my management IPs, then removed the connectivity then got an access to all the management devices.

%STANDBY-3-DIFFVIP1: Vlan2 Group 0 active routers virtual IP address 172.16.1.2 is different to the locally configured address 172.16.5.3

Here at my switch I gave the port access to VLAN10 (HSRP group 0) to have routing at my main core devices and another core port was in default VLAN with group0

I feel due to port has negotiated then enabled the link b/w both the core and followed by HSRP negotiated and found not in the same range of subnet.

Please correct me on this, Suggest the root cause.

Regards

Suresh Chandra

1 Reply 1

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suresh,

Can you paste the switch config?

There are two reasons why the STANDBY-3-DIFFVIP1 error message occurs:

The virtual IP address in the hello packets sent by the active router does not match with

the virtual IP address configured on the standby routers for

the same group. The root cause for this error is the virtual IP address misconfiguration

on any of the HSRP routers.

There is inter-VLAN leakage due to bridging loops in the switch. If you suspect virtual IP

address misconfiguration on any of the HSRP routers,

check all HSRP routers in the same group for the virtual IP address configured. To verify

the hello packets for virtual IP address mismatch, issue the debug standby command.

Regards

Inayath.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card