Views
Helpful
Replies

started in a new company - where to start

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I have started in a new large company, it has a large WAN, LAN at each site, firewalls, wireless and vpn services.

There is little or poor documentation about the network.

where would you start, I am thinking WAN, get a diagram done with all the connections, ip's , interfaces etc

then the LAN at each site

then the internet services etc.

what would you do ?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Talk to your supervisor or manager and tell him what you are trying to do:  network crawl.  Maybe someone might have a document hidden somewhere.

By communicating to everyone it will shown them that you have determination and the willingness to learn.

While you are also doing the network crawl, take note of some discrepancies in the configuration and bring this up (with solutions) when possible.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Talk to your supervisor or manager and tell him what you are trying to do:  network crawl.  Maybe someone might have a document hidden somewhere.

By communicating to everyone it will shown them that you have determination and the willingness to learn.

While you are also doing the network crawl, take note of some discrepancies in the configuration and bring this up (with solutions) when possible.

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

To add, I would start slow.  As the new guy, the other guys there are set in their ways, in their eyes their way works, has for years.  I would get a feel for how co-workers react to suggestions.  Dont go in guns a blazing ready to take over the world, if you do, you will get quickly ousted, remember, it works in their eyes.  If they wanted it changed, they would of done it themselves.

Just my two cents.

Where would it be best I start, look at the wan, addressing on each site, the move to LAN etc ?

Start small and easy.  Then you add complexity along the way. 

Good luck in your new endeavor.

I googled

how to properly document a network

First few hits seemed kinda of decent.

http://it.toolbox.com/wiki/index.php/Document_your_Network

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card