cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Starting a stack with a standalone switch (2960X) by adding a new switch (2960X)

Hello,

At work we're short on ports at a certain rack so we need to add a second switch using stacking module. The setup at the moment is just 1 C2960X switch and I need to add another one. Is it just plug and play and will the config from the switch in production go to the new switch OR do I need to implement config first on the second switch before installing?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

@BenjaminBelpaire3711 wrote:

Hello paul,

The Live switch at the moment is number 1, is this something that needs to change or does it matter for the live one? I imagine I have to change the number of the switch that is going to be added to 2?

The live switch his priority number is 1 at the moment so this should go up to 15, seeing I want this one as the master. Do I need to check the second switch to see if he is on level 1 to be sure?

No you don't need to change the current live switch number that will be fine and the provisioning of the new switch will take whatever number you state in the provision command (2-9) but note this will have the effect on the interface numbers of the new switch meaning say you provision switch 6 then it interfaces will show up as interface xx 6/0/X etc...

As for the switch priority - Yes change current live switch to have a switch priority of 15 and have the new switch to be a lower although it doesn't have to be 1 , You can either change this on the new switch before you attached it to the live switch or you can do this when it has joined as stack member it doesn't matter as it isn't a intrusive change.

As the live switch will already be active it wouldn't mater if the priority was the same even when the new first switch came online the new switch wouldn't take precedence so you can change the switch priority's of both switches after the new switch has joined the stack if you prefer, just make sure you remember do it.

The provision command, what I would be typing means that switch one should provision switch 2 with WS-XXXXX stuff. The WS-XXXXX is that of the live one or the new one?

WS-XXXX - This will be the model of the new switch that you provision on the current live master switch

One last question, how does this work? after I gave in the commands and turn on the new switch does it take over the config from the master switch and is this something that can be done during working hours?

The provisioning can be done anytime, and what this does is append the switch interfaces of the new switch to the current switch beginning with the switch number you state in the switch provision as i mentioned above..

As for the actual physical attaching and powering on of the new switch I would suggest to arrange a change window for this.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

by using the:

!
switch <stack-member-number> provision <type>
!

...command you can pre-populate the running config with the configuration for the new switch:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html#con_1178943

cheers,

Seb.

This command should be used on the new switch with no config at the moment or?

Run the command on the existing switch, ie the soon to be stack-master.

cheers,

Seb.

Hello
Your master needs to have a higher switch priority then any member switch , if this needs to be changed before adding the new switch you can do using the following commands assuming you wish your current live switch to be the master switch?

On existing live switch
1) Show switch <--- check on current switch and priority number ( example: switch 1 priority 15)

If you need to change the current switch number and priority you can do by 
conf t
switch x renumber x
switch x priority 15

2) Provision for new switch on the existing live switch

conf t
switch 2 provison WS-xxxxxxx

3)Make sure new switch is powered off , then attach it to live switch and then power the new switch up.

Note: Make sure the new 2960x switch is running the same IOS version as the exiting live switch so it will be compatible to stack and no version mismatch occurs and backup your running configuration before you make any of the changes above.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello paul,

The Live switch at the moment is number 1, is this something that needs to change or does it matter for the live one? I imagine I have to change the number of the switch that is going to be added to 2?

The live switch his priority number is 1 at the moment so this should go up to 15, seeing I want this one as the master. Do I need to check the second switch to see if he is on level 1 to be sure?

The provision command, what I would be typing means that switch one should provision switch 2 with WS-XXXXX stuff. The WS-XXXXX is that of the live one or the new one?

One last question, how does this work? after I gave in the commands and turn on the new switch does it take over the config from the masterswitch and is this something that can be done during workinghours?

Hello

@BenjaminBelpaire3711 wrote:

Hello paul,

No you don't need to change the current live switch number that will be fine and the provisioning of the new switch will take whatever number you state in the provision command (2-9) but note this will have the effect on the interface numbers of the new switch meaning say you provision switch 6 then it interfaces will show up as interface xx 6/0/X etc...

As for the switch priority - Yes change current live switch to have a switch priority of 15 and have the new switch to be a lower although it doesn't have to be 1 , You can either change this on the new switch before you attached it to the live switch or you can do this when it has joined as stack member it doesn't matter as it isn't a intrusive change.

As the live switch will already be active it wouldn't mater if the priority was the same even when the new first switch came online the new switch wouldn't take precedence so you can change the switch priority's of both switches after the new switch has joined the stack if you prefer, just make sure you remember do it.

WS-XXXX - This will be the model of the new switch that you provision on the current live master switch

One last question, how does this work? after I gave in the commands and turn on the new switch does it take over the config from the master switch and is this something that can be done during working hours?

The provisioning can be done anytime, and what this does is append the switch interfaces of the new switch to the current switch beginning with the switch number you state in the switch provision as i mentioned above..

As for the actual physical attaching and powering on of the new switch I would suggest to arrange a change window for this.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card