Views
Helpful
Replies

static ip route question

cisco.jmorbe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm still new and i'm learning really hard about networking. Anyways, is it normal if i can't ping the routers?

I mean, I have successfully configured all the routers and all of the hosts are able to ping one another yet when it comes to pinging the routers that are not connected directly, it fails.

say for example R0 to R3, unsuccessful but R0 to R1 successful.

I attached a file to explain my question better. By the way, i used static ip route because i'm following a video series.

I would appreciate if you would enlighten me w/ this.

Do those who are willing to help but doesn't want to download the file, just please refer to this link http://postimage.org/image/86pnlfxnr/

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's normal. You'll need to run a routing protocol between these routers, or use static routing all the way through your network.

For example, let's say that you have routers 10.1.1.0, 10.1.2.0, and 10.1.3.0. If you ran a routing protocol between these 3 routers, they'd exchange the networks that they know about between each other. If you ran static routing, you'd need to configure like the following:

RouterA - 10.1.1.0 needs to know to get to 10.1.3.0, it needs to go through 10.1.2.0.

RouterC - 10.1.3.0 needs to know to get to 10.1.1.0 it needs to go through 10.1.2.0 as well.

Routing also needs to be known bidirectionally so return traffic can be sent back.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi there,
John told you already what you need to know about the routing requirements for your lab.. I instead would like to suggest you to check the ping command options just typing ping ip_address ? And question mark as usual. You will see that one of the options is providing the possibility to specify from which interface or IP address you want the ping to leave. One of the reasons is that you can't always advertise all the networks in your infrastructure and specifying a source address overcome this issue. If you want to ping the routers in that design just use the extended ping..

Ping 1.1.1.1 source loop 0

This is just an example.

Hth
Alessio

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

cisco.jmorbe
Level 1
Level 1

thank you so much for the quick reply.

if i may ask.. should i still use ip route in order for the router to know how to get to a particular router?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card