cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Storm control - What's the consensus?

gibsowe55
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to standardize all switch uplinks on our network.  I have seen storm control applied on both ends of an uplink interface (both at L2 switch and L3 core), I have seen it applied at the L2 uplink only, and I have also seen it applied at the L3 core uplink only.  Which is the best practice here?  Since storm control only works for incoming traffic, would that mean it should be applied at the L2 switch or L3?  Or should I just be applying it on both ends? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

A good practice is be configured on both ends for trunks, now it can be see like:

storm-control broadcast level 50.00 
storm-control action shutdown   ---> it will disable the port automatically take in consideration it could affect multiple users, so If you are going to select this option errdisable recovery with the maximum time should be enabled. 

storm-control action trap   <--- It could be seen as manual action, you will receive notification and you can take actions. 

Also I remember you can select the min and max levels. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

The storm control could generate CPU problem on the devices, from my personal opinion there is no good practice of the values to apply because you are the one who knows your infrastructure, so you can set up for example levels: 30 and 70. 

Now you can apply an action but I suggest enable the Traps and then analyze what is happening, otherwise (up to you) you could configure action shutdown and enable errdisable recovery to avoid any downtime. 

It is usually seen under access and trunk ports. 

Hope it is useful

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

This is what we currently have set on some links:

storm-control action shutdown

storm-control action trap

Which one is preferred?  And should this be on both ends of the links?

Hi

A good practice is be configured on both ends for trunks, now it can be see like:

storm-control action shutdown   ---> it will disable the port automatically take in consideration it could affect multiple users, so If you are going to select this option errdisable recovery with the maximum time should be enabled. 

storm-control action trap   <--- It could be seen as manual action, you will receive notification and you can take actions. 

Also I remember you can select the min and max levels. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card