Views
Helpful
Replies

STP EtherChannel Guard

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

According to the guidance provided by multiple sources - one quoted here

"The EtherChannel Guard feature is used to detect EtherChannel misconfigurations between the switch and a connected device."

Could this vague reference to a "CONNECTED DEVICE" be considered as a NON-Cisco device OR even a Microsoft/Unix/Linux/etc SERVER performing link sharing?

Tks

Frank

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Franck,

The command is relevant for versions of STP:-

1) PVST+

2) rapid PVST+

3) MSTP

Now consider numbers 1 & 2 are cisco propriety.....

HTH>

What?

Not asking at relevance - I can read - I am asking about what "CONNECTED DEVICE" is referring.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Frank,

a server performing any form of teaming is usually not going to be an STP speaker of any form. (It may be with some new blade based servers that have their own front end to the network)

This feature is thought to protect inter-switch bundles from possible misconfigurations.

I can tell you that in our customer network two times a bridging loop was formed by the following event:

someone trying to add a vlan in the list of vlan permitted but on a member link instead of doing it on the logical port-channel.

In both cases it was a bundle of GE links between two C6500.

So I think the feature was introduced for dealing with this kind of events.

We are moving to a LACP based bundles to servers teaming bundles.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hey Giuseppe

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco