cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange issue connecting to C2960-X via ssh mgmt port

Graham Murison
Level 1
Level 1

We have a catalyst 2960-x that I am not able to connect via ssh when connecting to the management port.
We have several but previously they were set up with "management" IP using interface VLAN commands.

It fails:
When I (laptop#1) am connected to switchport on Switch-A8 and try connect using ssh to 10.1.11.12
It works:
When I (laptop#1) am connected to switchport on Switch-C3 and try connect using ssh to 10.1.11.12.

No configuration no cabling changes between tests.  Is this a bug perhaps? 

I wasn't able to find one using the bug search tool.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post "sh run" from the switch and point out the ports you are using to connect?

HTH

Hello

When I (laptop#1) am connected to switchport on Switch-C3 and try connect using ssh to 10.1.11.12.

can you ping 10.1.11.12 from that switch?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

post a diagram of your topology, showing how Switch-A8 and Switch-C3 are connected, and where IP address 10.1.11.12 is configured. Also, post the configs of all switches involved.

Graham Murison
Level 1
Level 1

@Reza Sharifi Configs attached.  My workstation is connected to GigabitEthernet1/0/18

@paul driver I can ping 10.1.11.12 from Switch-C3, I cannot ping 10.1.11.12 from Switch-A3. 

@Georg Pauwen Diagram and configs attached

You have vlan 1 configured with an IP address and an SVI on C3 switch. That is fine. Now on switch a8, you don't have vlan 1 configured with SVI and IP, instead, you have assigned the IP address to the out-of-band management port (see below).

So, in summary, you are using in-band management on c3 switch and out-of-band management on a8 switch.

To remedy this, simply take the cable out of "interface fastethernet0" and delete the IP. Now, connected the same cable to an available port on the switch, and give interface vlan1 the same ip address (10.1.11.19).

interface vlan1

ip address 10.1.11.19 255.255.255.0

no sh

Now test connectivity

interface Vlan1
 ip address 10.1.11.19 255.255.255.0
interface FastEthernet0
 ip address 10.1.11.12 255.255.255.0

Graham Murison
Level 1
Level 1

@Reza Sharifi 
Thanks for this suggestions, however as per company policy we are moving towards out-of-band only for all of our switches.

I have changed C3 to out-of-band as well, but this doesn't fix the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card