Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange uplink speed with SF100-16

Athena1390
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have connected a SF100-16 switch to a RV180 router (firmware 1.0.3.10).

The switch is a 10/100 switch (not 1000), but I can only connect it to the router at 10 or 1000 !!! 

When I configure the uplink to 100, the switch port LED does not turn on.

And when the router port is configured to auto, the switch port is connected at 1000.

It seems not possible and, most important, the connection between the router and the switch is not reliable (many freezes every day, implying a router port reconfig).

Could you please help me to build a reliable connection, at 100 Mbps ?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you tried auto on both ends?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The SF100 is an unmanaged switch, it is therefore auto only.

And the config auto-auto is not reliable.

Have you tried a different cable? Otherwise, you only have 3 choices for configuration:

auto/auto

hardcode/auto - this is unreliable even on higher end routers/switches because it usually results in half duplex

hardcode/hardcode - your switch is unmanaged, so i'm assuming you can't do this.

If the cable doesn't fix it, I'd try a different switch or even a different switchport with the same switch.

HTH,
John

OK, thanks.  I'll keep auto-auto and see what happens; and then change the cable.

But I still do not understand how a 10/100 switch is able to work at 1000...

"But I still do not understand how a 10/100 switch is able to work at 1000..."

It wouldn't be able to. If the router is reporting that it's a Gb connection, it's either getting bad signals from the switch and it's misreporting, or you have buggy firmware on the router.

HTH,
John

I changed the cable, tryed auto-auto, tried different ports (on router and on switch) and... still (at least) one freeze of the link every day.

And even when it is working, the average speed between the router and the switch is just above1 Mbps !

The issue happened with the previous firmware, and the latest.

What could be wrong ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card