Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Streaming Audio: Multicast or Broadcast? What is the maximum number of Associations?

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to create a WiFi network to streming audio (max 12 audio channels) and the users receiving these audio streming channels will be cellular phones.

Right now the system is working on both ways using broadcast address with ports to differentiate each channel, or using different IP multicas address, but there is a little amount of packages lost no matter what method I use. Can some one tell me wich method is suposed to be more efficient for this application?

And as a second question, when we read the specs for Access Points and Switches they mention up to 2048, 8000 or 16000 MAC address table, Can I take these numbers as the maximum number of users or associations (o preaty close to) ?

Some time the limit in the number of associations is refered taking into consideration regular browser traffic, but in my case all more of the users (I expect to have around 500 at the same time) will be receiving broadcast/multicast udp traffic.

In my case this will be a private network with no internet access so I'm thinking to use a cisco Aironet 1240/41 with a switch 300 series.

Can someone help me clarify more of the concepts involved here?

Thank you for your time

Efren

0 REPLIES 0
Content for Community-Ad