Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnetting Public IP Addresses

worldpeace
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I'm working on redesigning my small hosting network to use all public IP addresses.  The colo provider has given me a /28 subnet with 12 usable "host" IP addresses, and I'm planning to subnet this into two /29's subnets.  When i configure the servers, can i use a netmask address 255.255.255.248 for all of the servers since i'm subnetting it, instead of netmask address 255.255.255.240, which was assigned to me.  How will this work?  My goal is to create two VLANs with public IP addresses.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

A.

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

worldpeace wrote:

Hello!

I'm working on redesigning my small hosting network to use all public IP addresses.  The colo provider has given me a /28 subnet with 12 usable "host" IP addresses, and I'm planning to subnet this into two /29's subnets.  When i configure the servers, can i use a netmask address 255.255.255.248 for all of the servers since i'm subnetting it, instead of netmask address 255.255.255.240, which was assigned to me.  How will this work?  My goal is to create two VLANs with public IP addresses.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

A.

Hi,

Yes, since you have 2 vlans and 2 subnets for your servers, you would need to use net mask  255.255.255.248 per VLAN/Subnet

HTH

Reza

subnetting...

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to ask the SP to a small subnet like /30 to connect you router or firewall. Behind it, you can do whatever you want with address space you received.

Instead, if you are dirrectly connected with the address space and you want to split it, there tricks to be done, so it's not recommended for beginners.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The rages are as follows:

144 subnet  63.12.142.145  to  63.12.142.150

152 subnet  63.12.142.153  to  63.12.142.158

6 useable hosts per subnet.

So, how are you connected to the SP?

Are you using the 3750 to connect to your SP?

Reza

thanks!

worldpeace
Level 1
Level 1

I forgot to say to confirm about the netmask address above... so it's ok to use the netmask address 255.255.255.248 in the way i lay it out, right?

Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays!

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, It looks good. That should do it.

Good Luck

Reza

Thanks Reza!  The challenge now is to make it work .  i haven't touched a Cisco router for almost 8 years. I forgot everything.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card