Replies

Summarize multiple hosts !

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all experts.

I want to match the followings hosts

192.168.1.70/24 - 192.168.1.150/24

As you can see that, simple summarization techniques might not be useful here. In IOS do we have any other way of matching a range of host other then wildcard masks ?

12 Replies 12

IAN WHITMORE
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry no easy way to do this. You are gona have to group your networks and summarize where you can to get it down to as few a lines as possible.

Hi,

You can't summarize hosts, summarization is for subnets.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Yes but you can summarise the subnets that contain the hosts.

Hi,

Yes but he only got one subnet here so he can't summarize.

Hi.

Of course he can. Do you need me to write you an example?

It isn't a one liner because the hosts don't fall nicely, but you can still summarise!! Beats writing 80 line access list if you can do it in just a few lines.

I admit that it might render a few address unusable...but it depends on what he's trying to achieve.

192.168.1.70/24 - 192.168.1.150/24

192.168.1.70/32

192.168.1.71/32

192.168.1.72/29 (72-80)

192.168.1.80/28 (80-96)

192.168.1.96/27 (96-128)

192.168.1.128/28 (128-144)

192.168.1.144/30 (144-148)

192.168.1.149/32

192.168.1.150/32

Thats 9 lines and not 80. Still like I said, you loose a few addresses cos of networks/broadcasts but depends on needs....but as far as an access list goes it should work fine.

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken summarization is equal to link aggregation and so the mask must be lower than the original subnets, yes i repeat these are subnets

because a subnet is already a summary of hosts.

All the lines you gave had masks greater than /24 which is subnetting for me not summarizing.

Regards.

Alain.

Ok, for you it's subnetting but it is still summarizing the addresses or hosts or access-list entries if you like. Like I said it depends on the design goals. If you are simply looking to avoid writing an 80 line access list you can do it like this and save time and processor CPU.

It's not actuall a "summary" just a shorter way to write the list. But that is what I thought the user wanted because it's obvious due to the nature of the list it can't be "summarized" or "link-aggregated".

Just trying to be helpful as noone had answered the thread. You can't always interpret words as in the Cisco definition of them...you have to think a little outside the box.

Hi,

just trying to be helpful as noone had answered the thread. You can't always interpret words as in the Cisco definition of them...you have to think a little outside the box.

I don't blame you for being helpful, in fact I don't blame you for anything. I'm just trying to use the correct words in the current contexts, that's all.

I'm sorry if i upset you but for me using wrong term is not really thinking outside the box, but we all should have asked the OP what exactly he wanted to achieve.

To summarize, we were just speaking a different language but now we understood each other and that's fine 

Regards.

Alain.

Don't worry dude, no hard feelings here!!

Hi,

What is the reason for this,

You might be able to use prefix list if what you want to do supports prefix lists.

Network Group

Yep, you have a good point!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card