cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP2T with 6816 and VSL

trent.husking
Level 1
Level 1

We have ordered the new SUP2T with the 6816 line cards. We are currently using the SUP720-3B and using the 1G SFPs on board.

As part of the upgrade the two chassis will be converted to VSS. As the 1G and 2 x 10G ports share the total 20G bandwidth points on the SUP2T, if both 10G ports are used for VSL, the 1G ports can not be used.

One option is to use one 10G port of the SUP2T and another 10G port off the 6816 (performance mode).

My question is around the use of the 1G ports on the SUP2T. As we will only be using 1 x 10G port of the SUP2T, can the other 1G SFP ports be used? I know that when these are enabled the Ingress and Egress queue capabilities does change so not sure how this affects VSL.

We have other alternatives however the preference is the option above (if supported).

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no issue with your config.  You can use one 10Gig from the Sup and one from a line card. (this is actually best practice for VSL links).  Then you can use any of the 1Gig interfaces. Using the 1Gig interface does effect VSL traffic.

There is limited traffic going over the VSL link anyway.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Looking into this further, the 1G ports can not be used as the 10G QoS port profile needs to be enabled for VSL to function across this link.

The 'palform qos 10g-only' is needed to be enabled if any of the 10G ports are used on the SUP-2T.

I will look at terminating the 1G SFP ports onto another device as I dont want the VSL to be across the Line card.

Thanks for you input.

Trent Husking

CCIE#15809

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't forget to use at least 1G for the VSL heartbeat.

In regards to using the 6816, I'd stick to using the 6708 with upgraded DFC card.  The reason is the throughput you get.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Leo.  If you can use a 6708, it is all line rate with this Sup. You don't have to worry about configuring performance mode etc...

HTH

Hi Leo and Reza,

The fabric bandwidth is still 40G. The 6816 provides us with better flexibility and we can group interfaces based on their requirements. Performance mode is done in 4 port groups.

Yes the 6708 can have all ports used for VSL however this isn’t the sole reason for installing this line card.

The 6816 is far more versatile that the 6708. Also probably a reason why Cisco are not releasing an 8 port 10G line card in the 68xx series.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/data_sheet_c78-451794.html

Trent Husking

CCIE#15809

The 6816 provides us with better flexibility and we can group interfaces based on their requirements. Performance mode is done in 4 port groups.

You are absolutely correct.  If you put your 6816 card into performance mode then theortically, you'll use <16 ports.  If you use the 6708 and upgrade the DFC/PFC card then each port can turn 10Gb of traffic without breaking a sweat.

The 6816 is far more versatile that the 6708. Also probably a reason why Cisco are not releasing an 8 port 10G line card in the 68xx series.

The new 6X08-10Gb card is just the 6708 with an upgraded DFC/PFC card.

Hi Leo,

Think we are going aronud in circles here. Both line cards (regardless of DFC/PFC upgrade) only support a fabric of 40G. This is the limiting factor regardless of the number of interfaces.

All these line card (4 - 16 port) only support 40G of fabric bandwidth.

The original question was around bandwidth points on the SUP-2T which is still a new card and the use of the 1G ports which Reza previously answered.

Thanks.

Trent

Both line cards (regardless of DFC/PFC upgrade) only support a fabric of 40G.

With Sup2T and new DFC/PFC the fabric , as far as I am aware, is 80 Gb.

Hi Leo,

This was something that I also was advised however this is not the case. the 68xx series are essentially a rebranded 67xx series card with the DFC4 upgrade. They still will only support 40G per slot.

The 69xx series cards do support 80G. I believe the current card is a 6908 8 port non-blocking card.

The 6800 series card details can be seen on this document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/data_sheet_c78-451794.html

At least the price point is the same between the 67xx and 68xx cards.

Trent

Trent,

I got my facts wrong.  You are right.  The WS-X6908-10G-2T has 1:1 over-subscription rate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco