cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup7-E and Sup7L-E

p-miranda
Level 1
Level 1

I am very confused about licensing for Supervisor 7-E and Supervisor 7L-E.

If you look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/qa_c67-621718.html

We have 3 licenses for both supervisors: LAN Base, IP Base ande Enterprise Services (look at table 1).

If we have these licenses, why if I configure a Cat4507R+E with Sup7-E using the Cisco Configuration Tool, I cannot find a license for a LAN Base Image only? There is no default LAN Base Image, the base configuration for this supervisor says that a C4500E-IPB license (Paper IP Base License) is included with the supervisor. And there is an additional C4500E-IP-ES license (Paper IP to Ent Services License) that is optional and that you can select in order to get the Enterprise Services feature set enabled.

The same options are available if I choose a Sup7L-E instead a Sup7-E

It seems that LAN Base Image for these supervisors does not exist !!!!

Another great mistery for me is how I can select a Lite Universal Image instead of a Universal Image for these supervisors, the only thing I know is that for Sup7L-E:

Universal Lite Image = 2 feature sets (LAN Base and IP Base)

Universal Image = 3 feature sets (LAN Base, IP Base and Enterprise Services)

as you can see in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_25346.html

And for Sup7-E this is not the same, because it is not pointed in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_24726.html

Another problem I have found is that when I try to compare two different feature sets in Universal Lite Image or Universal Image for SUP7L-E (using the Feature Navigator) there is no way to select LAN Base, IP Base or Enterprise Image and distinguish which features are only available on each feature set or common to all sets.

Can anyone explain me and give me more public information about all this stuff I have mentioned and the real differences among all feature sets and images (lite and no lite) ?

Kind regards

Pedro

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pedro,

Per the link you provided  LAN Base image is not supported for thees sups:

Q. Which licenses will be available for the new Supervisor Engine 7-E and 7L-E?

A. See Table 1 for package licenses. These will be delivered with new  Supervisors or available as an upgrade through Cisco software  activation.

Table 1. Package licenses

Package Name

Prerequisites

License Types

LAN Base

None

Permanent

IP Base

IP Base

Permanent, temporary

Enterprise Services

IP Base

Permanent, temporary

HTH

Reza,

The link says that LAN Base Package will be delivered with New Supervisors ... I tried to configure a new supervisor using the Cisco Configuration Tool ... but no LAN Base Package license is available for delivery.

Have you tried configuring a Cat 4507R+E plus a supervisor 7-E  using the configuration tool?

There you can see that the basic package is IP Base (we all know that L2 basic features are included in IP Base feature set plus basic routing options) but I cannot find a LAN Base license.

Why Cisco says there is a LAN Base licence and this license is not shown as a basic option?

Regards

Pedro

Pedro,

This is a difficult for everyone dealing with license these days, when it comes to what license goes with what image.

I recommend talking to your Cisco Sales rep and your SE to sort this out.  Some times, it is not even clear to them, but this is what they get paid for.

HTH

Hi Pedro

LAN Base is the default license you get when you order a SUP7-E, or a SUP7L-E bundle.

IPBase is the default license you get when you order just the SUP7-E or SUP7L-E as a spare.

You can find more information as far as features vs license levels they are supported in here -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_23474.html#wp2481441

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Kedar

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card