Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervison SUP 720-3B swap on a cisco 6509

mp0700077
Level 1
Level 1

Guru's

I have a question regarding swapping a supervisor module on the Cisco 6509 chassis. I have a 6509 and please note, the chassis is 6509 and not 6509-E and I want to get redundancy in the hardware by installing 2 Sup720-3Bs in slot 5 & 6 as that is where SUP 720s go in a 6509. I have freed up slot 5 and 6 from the chassis in preparation for this. HOwever, there are other GB uplink and ethernet blades in other slots in this chassis. I have staged the new SUP 720s in another 6509-E chassis that I have and got all the L2/L3 configs on the new SUPs. My Q is what about the config of the other modules in the existing chassis that will get the newer 720 SUPs. Do those configs stay on those individual line cards or do they need to be redone when I install the new SUPs in the 6509 chassis. I ask because in the staged 6509 chassis, i do not have the line cards that are in the chassis that is going to have these newer SUPs installed.

Anyone who can provide insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

By default, your replacement sups will not have configs for your other line cards.  You can config them after you replace the sups.

BTW, what's your current installed sup(s)?

Thanks Joseph....My current SUP is  WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2. I know it is real old and that is reason for swapping. Let me know anything else I should be aware of that you can thihnk of.

Thanks

Ravi

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The only other thing I could suggest would be to have an electronic copy of your existing config.  You might be able to copy/paste line card configs.

It's a little more chancy, especially if your updating the IOS too, but you could try copying your exiting config after you boot into the new sups.  From a hardware standpoint, the big plus of the sup720 is the on-board fabric, which was an optional card with the sup2.  I.e. final configs might be almost identical.  Again, much depends on any IOS version differences.

The sup ports might be the most different between configs.

You might also be able to place a copy of your current system's config on the flash of the new sup(s).  (Which let's you copy it when you boot new sups on old chassis before you have other network connectivity configured.)

You might hold inserting the 2nd sup until you get the system up and running on the one sup.  Once the one sup is running the chassis, you can insert the 2nd sup, configure redundancy, and once it's hot, just save your config.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The supervisor(s) store the configuration not the modules.

So if the modules are different then your configuration may or may not work.

For example if the module in your test chassis was a WS-6548-GE-TX and the module in the same slot in your production chassis was a WS-X6748-GE-TX and you were using basic configuration such as vlan assignment, portfast etc. it should work.

If you are applying QOS for example though there is a good chance it won't because the queue structures for those modules would be different.

Obviously if the module had a different number of ports in the same slot then it won't work.

So it depends.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card