Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor Engine 2T and blank slot cover

Hi everybody

I going to upgrade from Sup-720-3B to Sup-2T on 6509-E Chassis and while I going through the installation guide I came across a requirement for the adjacent supervisor slots to be either:

• Another Sup-2T.

• Another Module.

• SLOTBLANK-09 or WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E.

and not to use the blank slot cover (Cisco part number WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR) and that is mentioned here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Sup_Eng_Guide/supe_gd/03instal.html

But under the below link the above requirement is only valid if I'm going to install either WS-X69xx or a WS-X68xx which is not the case in my upgrade. (link below)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Sup_Eng_Guide/supe_gd/02superv.html#wp1087581

So Now I'm confused and the Question will be:

Is it a general compulsory requirement to have SLOTBLANK-09 or WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E in slot 6 and slot 4 (assuming SUP-2T will be in Slot 5) without me using WS-X69xx or a WS-X68xx as my 6509-E chassis is having only slot 1 and 9 populated and 5 is the current Sup-720-3B slot so Slot 2-4 and 6-8 are empty?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mohamed, 

This will depend entirely on the environment where your chassis is installed.  

Like I've mentioned in the in my first post, the cooling direction of a 6500 is from the left side to the right side.  If you don't put blanking plates over the empty slots, the cool air will escape through the front and rendering the right-hand side component warmer than the left-hand side.

Another thing to consider are DUSTS and other minute particles floating in the air.  

I've mentioned the risks.  The option is yours.  In our network, all of our 6500 (including the vertical) are in a distro/core position.  I always insist in putting a blanking plate even though our DCs have adequate temperature and filters to minimize dusts.

View solution in original post

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

The 6509-E is a NEBS L3 compliant chassis.

The part number WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E is a full length blanking tray (slides into the chassis with the same length as a line card), the WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR is just the face plate that doesn't extend into the chassis.

As per the documentation you linked, the WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E is only required to maintain NEBS compliance and it would be to do with air flow patterns. You don't have to use it if you don't need NEBS compliance (i.e. you're not colo'ed in a telco exchange) and I know people that just use the standard blanking face plates, but you would also achieve slightly better cooling of the supervisor using it - air taking the past of least resistance and all, using the full length tray cover will force air across the components on the sup.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The Blank Slot Cover is use to make sure the airflow does not go out the open slots. The airflow is suppose to go from one side to another. With an open slot the fan will have difficulty in cooling the line cards, hence the use of a slot cover is recommended.

Thanks Leo for Reply and I do understand the benefits of these plates.

However, It didn't answer my question do i need to order these switching-module filler plates (SLOTBLANK-09 or WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E) for just installing Sup-2T in Slot 5 with Slot 4 & 6 empty (being empty here means it has the blank slot cover (WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR) in place) without any WS-X69xx or a WS-X68xx exist in the chassis?

So one link says generally for SUp-2T i need these plates and th other says only if WS-X69xx or a WS-X68xx is installed. (as mentioned above).

Mohamed, 

This will depend entirely on the environment where your chassis is installed.  

Like I've mentioned in the in my first post, the cooling direction of a 6500 is from the left side to the right side.  If you don't put blanking plates over the empty slots, the cool air will escape through the front and rendering the right-hand side component warmer than the left-hand side.

Another thing to consider are DUSTS and other minute particles floating in the air.  

I've mentioned the risks.  The option is yours.  In our network, all of our 6500 (including the vertical) are in a distro/core position.  I always insist in putting a blanking plate even though our DCs have adequate temperature and filters to minimize dusts.

Thanks Leo for Reply.

Well, I thought the Supervisor 2T won't function or boot if these plates are not present.

Since I came to support one customer and the customer already ordered the Supervisor 2T without these Plates and I came to do the implememntation and the Team who did the Design phase are not avialable.

I did have a look at the server room and as you said it would be beneficial to have these plated and would definitely ask the customer to order these plates.

Thanks again leo and Have a nice day and wish me luck with the implementtion :)

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

The 6509-E is a NEBS L3 compliant chassis.

The part number WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E is a full length blanking tray (slides into the chassis with the same length as a line card), the WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR is just the face plate that doesn't extend into the chassis.

As per the documentation you linked, the WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E is only required to maintain NEBS compliance and it would be to do with air flow patterns. You don't have to use it if you don't need NEBS compliance (i.e. you're not colo'ed in a telco exchange) and I know people that just use the standard blanking face plates, but you would also achieve slightly better cooling of the supervisor using it - air taking the past of least resistance and all, using the full length tray cover will force air across the components on the sup.

Thanks nikolasgeyer for reply, It did definitely helped me along with Leo's answer.

Well, NEBS compliance is not mandatory in current customer but would recommended these plates anyway, my concern was that SUP 2T might not function without them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: