cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor Placement in 4510R-E

Scott Pickles
Level 4
Level 4

I am referencing documentation on installing the Catalyst 4510R-E from this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/catalyst4500e/installation/guide/01intro.html

When you get down to the section for the 4510R-E, the portion of the document immediately below the graphic states that the primary sup goes in slot 5 and the backup goes in slot 6.  Then, under the Feature/Description section, it contradicts that statement by saying that the supervisors go in slots 3 and 4.  So which is it?  Also, what versions of code for the supervisors and the 4500 are people running currently?  Of the bugs that are out there, which ones are people seeing and should I stay away from?

Regards,
Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Scott,

I agree your point. There is a typo in the document. It should be "Supervisor engines must be installed in slot 5 or in slot 6"

Because if you refer Table 1-5, it is mentioned correctly for 4507R switch.

Thanks for pointing out. We will definetly inform this to the documentation team to get this fixed.

Cheers

Somu

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Scott,

The supervisor and redundant supervisor cards goes to Slot 5 and Slot 6 respectively.

Thanks.

Hi,

The location of supervisor engine in the chassis purely depends on the product model.

In 4507R switch, the supervisor engine goes into slot 3 and slot 4.

- Supervisor engines (primary in slot 3 and secondary in slot 4)

In Catalyst 4510R-E switch, the supervisor engine goes into slot 5 and slot 6.

- Supervisor engines (primary in slot 5 and secondary in slot 6)

Regarding the IOS versions, it depends on the supervisor engines you use.

I have pasted the screenshot of downloading IOS for 4500 series switches

We can see the bugs which are fixed in the IOS by viewing the release notes of the specific IOS version.

You can check the feature set supported by the IOS using cisco feature navigator tool.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

Ok, so that's two replies in favor of slots 5 and 6.  I'd like to know why the documents contain the dichotomy, with one section specifying 5 and 6 and the other specifying 3 and 4. 

Hi Scott,

I agree your point. There is a typo in the document. It should be "Supervisor engines must be installed in slot 5 or in slot 6"

Because if you refer Table 1-5, it is mentioned correctly for 4507R switch.

Thanks for pointing out. We will definetly inform this to the documentation team to get this fixed.

Cheers

Somu

I have 24, 4510R-E that i maintain and the chassis are clearly marked for slot 5 and 6 for the Supervisory Engines.  Very difficult to not place them in the correct location.

Jonathan,

Jonathan -

What code are your running on your sups?  What version are they?  I'll be putting in some 7-Es.

Regards,
Scott

I am running "cat4500e-entservicesk9-mz.122-53.SG3.bin."

Jonathan,

Hi Scott,

not only this document, there are many cisco documents where there are many errors and hences confuses the users., i myself faced such issues and started running behind google to clarify more

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Supervisor engines must be installed in slot 5 and in slot 6 for 4510R-E.

The version of the codes which are available in market (along with the latest one) can be seen on below link:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/navigator.html?mdfid=278875285&catid=268438038

After choosing the IOS version, you can look for the caveats (both open and closed) for the same. This will tell you the bugs hitting that version.

cheers,

Sweta

Please rate useful posts.

Scott Pickles
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks everyone!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card