Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor Preemption?

jbraswell
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I'm in the process of building out some new 4507RE with Sup 8-E (old I know, it's what I've got though) and I'm curious if there's a way to make one sup module preferred over the other? The reason I ask, my console connection from my terminal server is limited and I can only run to one sup module at a time. That's not a problem when the switch functions normally, but when a failover occurs, I've not got OOB to that switch. My thoughts are if the switch can run some basic tests on the sup module and know that it's functioning, then it will always be on that module. If for some reason, it detects a link down, or the RPR stops working, then it will fail over to the second module and continue to run until I can repair it. Does this make sense? Any other ideas you guys have done for a similar setup?

2 Replies 2

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

jbraswell,

In my opinion, the correct solution would be to implement a proper console server with multiple ports and be able to console to both supervisors at a time. You can find some for very reasonable price these days.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The only way I have got that working is by cabling the mgmt port from each sup to an out-of-band management switch. The console connection is just for that sup and it is not going to failover from one sup to another.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card