cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Support Contract needed now for 2960 switches?

Hi

Prior to the current IOS release, 12.2.58-SE1, for the 2960 switches, I was able to download with a Cisco account, the most current release (12.2.55-SE3) without a support contract. IOS release 12.2.58-SE1 now requires one. When did the free IOS policy change with the 2960 series switches or is this a mistake?

Thanks in advance!

doug

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think the policy has changed if still published, however you can find incongruence between what is promised and how it is delivered.

You can only complain to Cisco about that.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like I will ask Cisco Support for clarification: Is it a mistake, an exception, or new policy, or Cisco being Cisco?

d

They started enforcing specific product download rights at the beginning of this year, and it may have to do with that.

Hi,

I have no problem purchasing a support contract if IOS updates are not free anymore. Below is from the Q&A section of the 2960 series page:

Software Updates

Q. Can I obtain a "no additional cost" Cisco IOS® Software update for the Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series?
A. Yes. Cisco offers ongoing Cisco IOS Software updates for certain fixed-configuration and stackable Cisco Catalyst switches at no additional cost. For the life of the product, updates within the Cisco IOS Software package purchased (LAN Lite and LAN Base) will be made available.
Note that upgrades are different from updates. For example, an upgrade from the IP Base package to IP Services package provides significant new function; therefore, this upgrade requires the purchase of a software license upgrade. Updates are incremental software features and bug fixes that are released within a licensed Cisco IOS Software package.
This statement supersedes any previous warranty or software statement and is subject to change without notice.
Q. How do I get a "no additional cost" Cisco IOS Software update for the Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series?
A. Visit http://www.cisco.com, click "Downloads," and select "Switch Software." Downloading software requires a Cisco.com username and password. If you do not have a Cisco.com username, you can obtain one by clicking "Register" at the top of any Cisco.com Webpage.
I will let you know how Cisco resolves this issue.
d

So, nowere isn't written that Cisco has changed their policy regarding free software updates for life on their switches.

Second, even if they will in the future, the old policy it would still apply for customers that purchased when it was in effect.

So you have to bring this up to cisco to obtain what they promised at the time you bought.

Hi,

Yesterday, I emailed Cisco Support regarding the IOS version which required a support contract. While reviewing the IOS version which did not need a support contract, I noticed the release dates for the latest release is two days off from a previous version which may indicate one version is a premium version and one which is a standard free version. I will post Cisco Support's reply when I receive it.

d

diogogoncalves
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Douglas

From today, It is possible to download the version 12.2.58-SE1 without support contract

best regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card