cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Swapping modules on 6509-E

klein425
Level 1
Level 1

We are swapping some modules on a 6509-E. Currently there is on SUP-720 and I am putting in two SUP-720-3B's. I've preconfigured the 3B's in a separate 6509-E so I should just be able to swap them out. As far as configuration of other modules, there are 3 WS-X6748-GE-TX modules in the production 6509-E using the SUP-720. If I put in 3 WS-X6548-GE-TX modules in the extra 6509-E chassis running the two 720-3B's and mirror the configuration of the production WS-X6748-GE-TX modules, will the configuration exist when I swap the SUP cards?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Depends a lot on what configuration you have under the interfaces. If it is just vlan allocation, portfast, speed/duplex etc.. then yes it should work. If you also doing QOS config for example though there will be differences between the 2 modules.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on your configuration of the old Sup720.

How about copying the OLD Sup720 config into the compact flash and bringing across to the 3B and see if the 3B would throw some errors?

I could copy it over, but I'm trying to find the solution with the least amount of downtime. If I can just prep the lab 6509-E using SUP720-3b's and the 6548 modules, then I can just swap the SUP's out and I'm good to go.

Depends a lot on what configuration you have under the interfaces. If it is just vlan allocation, portfast, speed/duplex etc.. then yes it should work. If you also doing QOS config for example though there will be differences between the 2 modules.

Jon

They are just trunk ports, most are in port channels but there is minimal QoS going on. Example of a common port:

no ip address

mls qos trust cos

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan ...

switchport trunk allowed vlan ...

switchport mode trunk

channel-group x mode on

Pretty straight forward. I'm just not sure if a module with a different part number would be defaulted to original settings. The commands on each port are compatible with each module.

"I'm just not sure if a module with a different part number would be defaulted to original settings"

I'm not aware of anything like that. As long as the config references the equivalent gigabit ports ie. the 6548 modules were in the same slots as the 6748 modules i can't see why it wouldn't work.

Jon

Are these the one's you need to configure? Have you tried using Smartport Macros? You can configure this into the Sup and when you put the blades in, just invoke it.

Here's the link for your perusal:

Configuring Smartports Macros

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swmacro.html

Hope this works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco