Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SWITCH 3850 NETWORK MODULE AND GLC-SX-MM COMPATIBILITY

Dear.

i have the following problem:

we are changing from 3506X to Switch WS-C3850-48P.

The network module for WS-C3850-48P is: C3850-NM-4-10G.

the 3560x switch is using SFP GLC-SX-MM=.

We have replaced the 3560X switch by 3850 and we have used the SFP module.

The 3850 recognize the SFP module but the fibe optic link is down: physical and logical is down.

At Cisco Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix document does not appear the model: WS-C3850-48P so we understand that SFP  Module GLC-SX-MM is not supported by Cicso WS-C3850-48P and C3850-NM-4-10G.

would you be mind telling me if we can use SFP GLC-SX-MM= with WS-C3850-48P and C3850-NM-4-10g, please?

Attentively.

Roger Majo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roger,

Those switches look like they are 3850's with SFP ports, have a look at this link, it would seem to indicate that the 3850-48P should support GLC-SX-MM.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

will.cullen
Level 1
Level 1

The SFP should be compatible, see link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html

Also for the C3850-NM-4-10G module - All ports default to 10G and should be configured as
TenGig1/1/1 through TenGig1/1/4 - even though you are operating them as 1G via SFPs.

Dear Cullen.

I have reviewed before that link and at Catalyst 3800 Series Switch Support support does not appear the model: WS-C3850-48P. Does it mean that WS-C3850-48P does not support SFP modules?.

waiting your sooner answer.

attn.

Roger

As far as I can tell the WS-C3850-48P should support SFP modules, is it a Cisco SFP that you are using? and when you insert the SFP into the module does anything appear in the log file? what is the configuration under the interface where the SFP has been inserted.

Hi Will.

Yes it is a cisco SFP I am using.

when I insert the SFP at network module nothing appears at log file BUT at tengigaethernet interface appears the model of the SFP I have inserted:

media type 1000BASESX SFP

tengigaethernet 2/1/1 is down line protocol is down (not connected)

the configuration is:

• switchport mode trunk
  • switchport trunk allowed vlan all
  • switchport trunk native vlan 1
  • spanning-tree link-type point-to-point
  • speed nonegotiate

I use the sfp to connect a remote router using the same SFP.

But when I use the same SFP at 3560X with C3KX-NM-1G the pshysical and logical link is UP..

Attn.

Roger

You may have hit this bug, try without the "speed nonegotiate"

CSCut81374

Symptom:
The ports using with C3850-NM-4-10G / GLC-SX-MM is not link-up after switch reload.
This issue is only seen "speed nonegotiate" setting.

Conditions:
3850 running with 3.6.0E /3.6.1E /3.7.0E.

Workaround:
Delete "speed nonegotiate" and input same configuration again.

Further Problem Description:
none

Hi Will.

before and after the put in service of cisco 3850 switches in stack modality I tested many option:

• no speed negotiated, and
  • speed nonegotiated

and with each of them the physical and logical link stay in DOWN.

the version running at 3850 switches are: 3.2.3 SE.

can you tell me if we change the actual version to 3.3.5 SE the problem will be resolved?

In the link that you send to me: matrix between 3850 and SFP modules, does not appears the model: WS-C3850-48P-S so we can tell that this model does not support SFP GLC-SX-MM?

Thanking you in advance and waiting your sooner answer.

Roger Majo

Roger,

From the compatibilty link the C3850-NM-4-10G supports the GLC-SX-MM and as your switch supports this module, it should work. As the link is down/down I'd check the basics again and try another SFP if you have a spare. Looking at the documentation is doesnt appear to be clear but I think you may have to upgrade to XOS 3.7.2E as the compatibity list would seem to indicate 3.7.1 as the minimum for an all 10Gb module, but you'll need to check the release notes to check that the upgrade is suitable for you.

Will.

I have do many tests with others SFP GLC-SX-MM in production and the result is the same: the C3850-NM-4-10G recognize this module but the layer1 and layer 2 is down/down.

We have a WS-C3850-48P and as you can see this model is not listed in the next chart:

We can change the IOS but the the model WS-C3850-48P does not appear in the chart above.

can we set with all these tests and information, that the model WS-C3850-48P does not support SFP GLC-SX-MM?

thanking you in advance.

attn.

Roger Majo

Roger,

Those switches look like they are 3850's with SFP ports, have a look at this link, it would seem to indicate that the 3850-48P should support GLC-SX-MM.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

Will.

I am going to upgrade the IOS VERSION at switches 3850 and verify if this change enable operation with GLC-SX-MM SFP.

Attn.

Roger Majo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card