Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 3850 not supported in cisco network assistant

mgraf0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have a problem with our new Switch WS-C3850-12S. We try to put it into the cisco network assistant but we only get the message

"Unsupported Device".

Has anyone an idea to make the software running also for this switch?  

Thanks in advance

11 Replies 11

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What version are you running looks like 5.8.7 supports it

With Cisco Network Assistant 5.8.7, you can configure these features on Catalyst 3850 switches:

• Controller configuration— Allows you to enable Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP), a device discovery protocol that runs on all Cisco-manufactured equipment.
  • AAA method lists— Provides authentication, accounting, and authorization support.
  • AAA server groups—Allows you to manage RADIUS, TACACS+, and LADP server groups that can be used in AAA methods.
  • AAA users—Allows you to add a local network user in the device. The local user database stores the credentials (username and password) of all the local network users.
  • Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) servers—Allows you to manage the RADIUS server and fallback parameters.
  • Terminal Access Controller Access Control System Plus (TACACS+) servers—Allows you to manage the TACACS+ servers.
  • LDAP servers—Allows you to authenticate the user by querying an LDAP server for the credentials of a particular user.
  • MAC filtering—Allows you to configure each client MAC address to access network services through a specific Cisco WLAN and interface.
  • Mobility management—Allows you to maintain the association seamlessly from one access point to another securely and with as little latency as possible. You can configure mobility groups and mobility anchor configuration. You can also view mobility statistics.
  • Local EAP—Allows users and wireless clients to be authenticated locally. You can configure EAP-Fast parameters and EAP profiles.
  • Access point groups—Allows you to selectively publish up to 512 WLANs to different access points to better manage your wireless network.
  • Wireless Controller Dashboard—Allows you to view a broad range of wireless controller statistics.
  • Wireless Radios—Displays reports that show the status of wireless radios on the wireless controller.
  • Wireless Clients—Displays reports that show the status of wireless clients on the wireless controller.
  • View all access points and search for specific access points.

Thanks for your quick answer...

We are running the Version 6.1 of Netware assistant. I try your recommended version

with same result. Error Message is "Unknown Device"

I'm not shure if the glas Switch 12S is supported at all. I dont't found this Switch in the release note for the Software.

Hopefully i'm wrong and we will get it up ans running

Yes its not looking good when i search the release notes for your version , your platform is not showing up included  maybe it will be included in the next release as the 3560 and 3750 12 ports are included so i dont see why they would just leave the 3850 12 port platform out , the only option would be check with TAC if theres a workaround or if they know will it be included in the next release as your on the latest version

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_network_assistant/version6/relnotes/ol32368.html

Hi Mark,

I have this problem too. It said that "Unsupported Device Type: WS-C3850-24S".

I am using CNA ver 6.2 (latest I think).

Please help me

Thank you

Same problem........

3850 12S and 24S ?!??!!??

Bump 

Any news if the 12S or 24S will be supported in the next release?

Thanks

I think anyone who has a C3850-12S or 24S is out of luck for now.  Under the release notes for 6.2 neither of these are mentioned.  C3850-##F, C3850-##T, and C3850-##P are all mentioned - 12S and 24S not mentioned.  So I guess we're all at the mercy of whenever Cisco gets darn good and ready to add the functionality.  Which will probably be when the 3950 or 4050 comes out and no one is buying the 3850's anymore.

I queried this through our reseller a few months ago, and after the request bounced around inside Cisco for a few weeks, a 'member of the project management team' replied:

Supporting 3850-12S in Cisco Network Assistant depends upon Management decisions based on the requirements. As of now there is no plan to support the 3850-12S.

So I guess we're out of luck.  With 3850-12S's in the core of our network it also makes CNA fairly irrelevant for everything else as it can't easily show or manage the links between the 3850s and all of the edge switches.

Current version also seems to have a bug with the smartport view where, if I've selected a stacked 2960X before launching the smartport view, it gives an error "Logical stacks cannot paint themselves", but works if I select a non-2960X first... 

No updates or fixes to CNA for over a year now, for bugs or to add unsupported devices. Wondering at this point if it's defunct.  Fortunately I have other tools and mostly use SSH for configuration, but CNA is useful for other members of my team to quickly check things.

Ciao,

It seem not support yet. I didn't find WS-C3850-12S in last release note.

Can you confirm ?

Thanks

Carl Edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you have any joy with this in the end.  I have the same problem although 6.2 says it supports 3850's now?

Thanks,

dominik78
Level 4
Level 4

It seems like none of the 3850 Multigig Switches are supported either as of CNA V6.3 (latest in Nov. of 2017).

This has been an issue with one of our clients for a while. They are not very technical and prefer not calling us for simple port changes and they loved doing that in CNA. We're trying to migrate them to 3850 switches but this has been a point of contention.

I do wish Cisco would give things like CNA more love. Things like CNA go a long way with the clients.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card