Received 61625 broadcasts, 0 runts, 11064233 giants, 0 throttles

11064234 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

96315547 packets output, 39767932838 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

i have a question about " show interface " output information .

1) 11064234 input errors

2)  11064233 giants

are the two output information normal states ???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

If application sending packets with df bit set then mtu definately increases counter for giants. you can configure maximum mtu supported on

interface

in addtion for interface errors problem could be speed/duplex mismatch or physical layer problem (cable issue)

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

It is not normal.

> error: Could be issue with loose cable or faulty connected hardware

> giant: remote device is sending larger sized packets

just pasting below info. for mode clarity

Counters

• Packets input - Total number of error-free packets received.
  • Broadcasts - Total number of broadcast or multicast packets received.
  • Runts - Number of packets discarded because they are smaller than the medium's minimum packet size.
  • Giants - Number of packets that are discarded because they exceed the medium's maximum packet size.
  • Parity - Number of parity errors on the HSSI.
  • RX Disabled - Indicates inability to get a buffer when accessing a packet.
  • Input Errors - Sum of all errors that prevented the receipt of datagrams. This may not balance with the sum of the enumerated output errors, because some datagrams may have more than one error and others may have errors that do not fall into any of the specific categories.
  • CRC - Cyclic redundancy checksum generated mismatch. CRC errors also are reported when a far-end abort occurs and when the idle flag pattern is corrupted. This makes it possible to get CRC errors even when there is no data traffic.
  • Frame - Number of packets received incorrectly having a CRC error and a noninteger number of octets.
  • Overrun - Number of times the serial receiver hardware was unable to hand received data to a hardware buffer because the input rate exceeded the receiver's ability to handle the data.
  • Ignored - Number of received packets ignored by the interface because the interface hardware ran low on internal buffers.
  • Abort - Number of packets whose receipt was aborted.
  • Bytes - Total number of bytes, including data and MAC encapsulation, transmitted by the system.
  • Underruns - Number of times that the far-end router's transmitter has been running faster than the near-end router's receiver can handle. This may never happen (be reported) on some interfaces.
  • Congestion Drop - Number of messages discarded because the output queue on an interface grew too long.
  • Output Errors - Sum of all errors that prevented the final transmission. This may not balance with the sum of the enumerated output errors, because some datagrams may have more than one error and others may have errors that do not fall into any of the specific categories.
  • Interface Resets - Number of times an interface has been completely reset.
  • Restarts - Number of times the controller was restarted because of errors.
  • Carrier Transitions - Number of times the carrier detect signal of a serial interface has changed state.

Hope this helps

Mahesh

this is my configuration in the interface gigabitethernet .....

interface GigabitEthernet8/2
no ip address
media-type rj45
speed 100
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
end
my interface connect to optical-to-electrical transducer .

hi mehesh :

i also feel not good state . but i don't konw how to sovle this trouble.

i think it's MTU promble .... but , if i need to change our side mtu 15xx . or ask huawei , what's the interface MTU number..

but  MTU is 1500 in the ethernet..

Hello,

If application sending packets with df bit set then mtu definately increases counter for giants. you can configure maximum mtu supported on

interface

in addtion for interface errors problem could be speed/duplex mismatch or physical layer problem (cable issue)

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card