cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Boot Time

jasommer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a group using two switches. A WS-3560G-48TS and a WS-3750-24TS. I am trying to find some documentation that suggests a normal boot/load time for those switches. The 3560 is taking about 3.25 minutes and the user is not happy with that. Does anyone know where this is documented? Or have recommendations on speeding it up? Thanks

10 Replies 10

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think you can do any thing about the time it takes the switch to finish the boot process. All Cisco devices take a seemingly long time to boot.

And why is the user concerned about the boot time of the switch? How many times a day/week/month do you reload it? And during working hours?

jasommer
Level 1
Level 1

A little more background:

These switches are used in a training system. In the morning they hit one power switch and everything comes on. Most of the PCs are diskless booting and tend to come up faster than the switches. They usually timeout (Boot P times out), and have to be reset once the switches are up. Apparently it is just the WS-3560G-48TS that is causing the problem. It is running 122-25.SEB4.

In this case you can configure "spanning-tree portfast" on ports connected to pc'. This will cut the time by about a minute from the perspective of pc users.

there is no way around this . Find a live plug and leave the switch on which is what most users do .

jasommer
Level 1
Level 1

More information: The 3.25 minutes is the time it takes for the switches to start passing any traffic. Portfast is enabled on all the server/pc interfaces. Thanks.

Unless you are loading new/default condigurations every morning, you could consider leaving the switch on over-night. Not great for your carbon footprint, but it might keep the users happy.

You cannot do much about making the booting process faster for the switch. It has to load the IOS, run the hardware test and then load the IOS and config on the DRAM. Moreover on 3750 it runs the stack election process that's why 3750 usually takes long time.

As suggested by Glen and Ahmed, we cannot do much about it and just leave the switch running overnight.

-amit singh

jasommer
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all, but I guess my real question is this: Is 3.25 minutes "normal" for the 3560? Is a "normal" time documented any where that I can use as a reference? Thanks a lot.

yes , its normal .

Thanks, Is this documented any where? Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco