cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch config for Microsoft Network Load Balancing w/ VMs question

bill_burnam
Level 5
Level 5

We have a VMware enviroment where there are are multiple virtual servers that are using Microsoft Network Load Balancing.  So each VM has it's own IP address and then via NLB there is a virtual IP address for load balance.  My server guy has setup his part and given me the IP address for the NLB.  The vendor that he is working with provided me with the following Cisco doc as a reference for the setup of the switch:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a07203.shtml

I have tried that, but no luck.

The Cisco switches I'm using are the blade type in the IBM blade center (WS-CBS3012-IBM-I).  I have entered the following in the switch:

arp {NLB ip address} {NLB mac address} ARPA
mac address-table static {NLB mac address} vlan 101 interface GigabitEthernet0/1 GigabitEthernet0/2 GigabitEthernet0/3 GigabitEthernet0/4

Those 4 interfaces that are listed are the 4 ESX server blades where the IP address could possibly come from.

This is my first time venturing into the switch config with NLB and VMware, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

3 Replies 3

bill_burnam
Level 5
Level 5

I just wanted to ask again if anyone has some ideas for this issue?

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill,

Are you able to reach the virtual IP from a Windows host in the same VLAN? If connectivity within the VLAN works but outside doesn't then the problem is that you need to have the static ARP entry on every router / switch with an SVI in the VLAN.

My post on this other thread should help explain why - https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3202182#3202182

/Phil

Phil,

Here is where things get odd.  I can reach the virtual IP address from another virtual server that is in the same vlan, it is all part of the vmware.  However, when I assign a PHYSICAL blade server to the same vlan that is also attached the same switch, I am not able to reach the virtual IP from that physical server.  I'm sure that I will probably have to statically assign stuff to my other equipment so devices on other vlans can reach those virtual IPs, but I was just trying to get everything working on that one vlan for starters.

Thanks,

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card