Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch connection question

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two Cisco 2960S (switch 1 & 2 in figure) connected in stack with proper stack cable.

Referring to the picture, connecting switch 3 with two optical cables one per 2960s switch will results in loop or i will provide redundancy to switch 3?

Thankyou in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstp.html#wp1260498

"A switch stack appears as a single spanning-tree  node to the rest of the network, and all stack members use the same  bridge ID for a given spanning tree. The bridge ID is derived from the  MAC address of the stack master. "

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry,

i forgot to say that all switches are running PVST.

Thankyou!

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstp.html#wp1260498

"A switch stack appears as a single spanning-tree  node to the rest of the network, and all stack members use the same  bridge ID for a given spanning tree. The bridge ID is derived from the  MAC address of the stack master. "

Regards.

Alain

Hi,

Thankyou for reply, so i thin it's correct to say i'll create a loop.

It's possible to aggregate the two links between Stack switches and switch number 3 in a 2Gb PortChannel? This ensures me redundancy to switch number 3?

Thankyou

Hi,

If the stack appears as a single node for STP then it is safe to assume you'll  be in  the same situation as having 2 single switches connected together and so STP will take care of this and block one link, at least that's my understanding.

Regards.

Alain

Ok,

now i understood!!

Thankyou so much

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card