cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Kaskaden im Netzwerk?

whsgmbh11
Level 1
Level 1

Ein Kunde von uns setzt hauptsächliche SGE2000 in dseinem Netzwerk ein. Jetzt steht eine Erweiterung an. Gibt es eine Empfehlung, wieviele dieser Switche man as Kaskade nacheinander schalten kann?

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Uwe,

I hope you don't mind if I respond in English - my German is a little rusty.

For a pure switching function, there is no limit on the number of switches in a cascade. There are, however, management protocols running on these switches, most notably STP, that pose a limit on the maximum number of switches in a row. The default 802.1D STP timers are calculated with a maximum of 7 switches in a row, and with default settings, the STP will not work properly if more than 18 switches are cascaded. The 802.1w RSTP and 802.1s MSTP limit the number of cascaded switches to 20 by default.

Please note that in well-designed switched network with a dedicated access and distribution layer, the number of switches in a row usually does not exceed 4. Going strongly above this number suggests that the network may require redesigning.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank You for your answer, it was useful for me.

Uwe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card