Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Management Interface

alsayegh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can SG350/550 switches be managed remotely through ports other than OOB?

Thanks.

23 Replies 23

Now I can access all devices connected on the switch except the switch itself, that is 61.62.62.22

Can you ping 61.62.62.22 over the Internet? If yes, then you need to make sure the switch has ssh enabled, if this is how you are trying to connect to it. If telnet (not secure) then you need to make sure telnet is enabled on the switch. What is the error message you get when you try to connect to 61.62.62.22?

HTH

Correction. Assigned 60.61.62.22 to interface 6. I can't ping 60.61.62.22 from the switch itself, let alone from outside. I also cannot ping any outside IP from the switch. I can, however, ping to/from all the devices connected to the switch. Following is the output of show ip interface:

60.61.62.22/xx  6    UP/DOWN    Static     disable    No     enable     Valid

Hello

give the switch svi vlan x an isp ip address and

default gateway assign all ports to that vlan i’d 

you should then be able to reach all hosts and the switch itself via the internet 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

I created vlan x. gave it the public IP address. How can I set the default gateway for it?

Thank you.

How can I set the default gateway for it?

ip default-gateway 60.61.62.1

if 60.61.62.1 is the provider's IP address.

HTH

Already did this. No go.

Correction. Assigned 60.61.62.22 to interface 6

No, the IP address should be assigned to an SVI and not to a physical interface.

config t

interface vlan x

ip 60.61.62.22 <mask>

The above VLAN is used for all your end devices as well as for managing the switch.

Now add vlan x to the interface connecting to the provider. This interface should be configured as an access port if you are using one vlan for everything.

config t

interface 6 (this is the interface that connects to the provider)

switchport mode access

vlan x

HTH

I did as you said except for "switchport mode access" which I replaced by "switchport mode trunk" as I have tagged VLANs. When I used "switchport mode access" I lost connectivity to all devices connected to the switch. They only work the trunk mode.

After I completed the above commands:

1. I can ping 60.61.62.22 from the switch CLI.

2. I can't ping 60.61.62.22 from outside the switch, even from devices connected to the same switch.

3. I can't ping the gateway from inside the switch.

4. I can't ping the other devices connected to the same switch from inside the switch.

5. show ip route gives:

S    0.0.0.0/0    [1/4]   via 60.61.62.1, 00:00:xx,  vlan x

C   60.61.62.../xx    is directly connected, vlan x

alsayegh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Thank you all who followed up on my post. I managed to resolve this issue simply by adding the public IP to the native VLAN instead of adding the IP into a newly created tagged VLAN.

Hope this helps whoever stumbles by the same issue.

Best regards.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card