cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch: mode after upgrading c9500 firmware from 16..6.4 to 16.9.3 and configuring to stackwise and rebooted

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

I was trying to configure stackwise virtual for c9500-40x switch for new deployment. but command was not available while entering it.

When i checked version of the switch i found it is 16.6.4 version and this not supporting in C9500-40x. so I upgraded it to version fuji 16.9.3 using the procedure 

install add

install activate

install commit

then i applied stackwise-virtual

domain 200

exit

int range te1/0/39, te1/0/40

stackwise-virtual link 1

exit

wr

reload

first i reloaded first switch then after making sure first switch(active) getting restarted i restarted second one(standby).

but first switch which was supposed to be active didnt boot up as expected 

instead it went to switch: mode and stucked there.

second switch booted without any issue.

let me know why this is happened. how to move further?

i checked from this stage dir bootflash: and i can see the fuji files there. which file need to boot if i want to boot.

boot bootflash:

but fuji i cannot see bin file after installing it....

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Read:  Emergency Recovery

Alternatively, instead of booting up the IOS from TFTP, one can use a supported USB thumb drive and issue the command "emergency-install usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin". 

IMPORTANT:  After the switch as rebooted up in Bundle Mode, unpack the IOS into the flash using Install Mode.

is there any other was i can use without USB.
im not sure i can use emergency-install usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin command. as i told u im not able to get into privilege mode. im in switch: mode right now. so i dont think so i can emergency-install usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin.

Can you please tell me who to boot the firmware from flash again permanently.

Read the link I've posted.
It has detailed instructions on how to perform an Emergency Recovery using TFTP.

sorry i didnt noticed the link. after my collegue checked the logs he was telling motherboard failed.. how come that happened?

If motherboard failed will it go to switch: rommon mode??? he checked the log and telling its some motherboard issue. for me i felt it firmware crashed.

while doing the hardware checking failed switch bootstrap got upgraded to 16.9.X unknowingly and second switch bootstrap is in 16.6 version. will that make problem for stackwise-virtual if it failed switch got up?

wiill that

Console into the switch and post the entire boot-up process so we can see what is going on.

As I told you. its suddenly get into switch: thats all. nothing else

@jaheshkhan wrote:
As I told you. its suddenly get into switch: thats all. nothing else

So what you're saying is once you apply power, the switches goes straight into "switch:".  If this is the case, then raise a TAC Case and organize an RMA.  

NOTE:  I have never seen a Catalyst 9K go straight into "switch:" without going through ROMMON.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card