cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch not delivering power to 7940G-GE

zangelo_vbar
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 24-port Catalyst 3560G that is providing power to a dozen or so IP phones. I recently unplugged one of the phones and when I went to go plug it back in the power wouldn't resume. I tried replacing the phone, no power. I tried plugging both phones directly into the switch (bypassing cabling plant), still no power. I've tried different ports, doing a shut/no shut, forcing power on the phone (power inline static iface cmd). Basically, everything short of rebooting the switch which I'm reluctant to do because I fear that I might lose power to the rest of the phones connected to it. Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated since the PoE troubleshooting section of the Catalyst IOS manual is woefully short.

-ZA

8 Replies 8

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you do "show power inline", does it show that you have available power? It should be the first line of the output. With the phone plugged in, does it indicate that it's providing power to the port?

Brandon

Should have power available:

hou-sw-06#sh power inline

Available:370.0(w) Used:145.9(w) Remaining:224.1(w)

Gi0/9 auto off 0.0 n/a n/a 15.4

There is nothing that indicates that power is being provided to the port in question (Gi0/9).

-ZA

So, if you unplug one of the other phones and plug it back in, does it power up? You may have to reload the switch.

Brandon

I unplugged one of the other phones, plugged it back in and it came back up. Pretty puzzling.

Like I said I'm reluctant to do a reload because I might screw the rest of them up, but I may not have a choice.

Do you know of any other diagnostics I can perform before reloading?

Can you plug the working phone into the port of the phone that stopped working? Have you tried "shut/no shut" on the switchport?

Brandon

Tried plugging the working phone into the other port and it didn't work.

I have tried a shut/no shut, didn't work.

Thanks,

ZA

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

show power inline. Look at your 7941s and 60s and see how many wats they are sucking up. If it is something like 1400202 then you have a bugged IOS.

Yeah, I caught your earlier reply to the guy with the 4500. I checked it, and I'm either drawing 12.9 or 14.9.

I think I'm going to give an IOS upgrade a shot this weekend anyway. I can't find any bugs in the database regarding PoE.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco