Views
Helpful
Replies

switch port auto state exclude command not working in 4500

jithu p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

I have configured a SVI in my 4500 ( Sup 7-E 10GE,,,,,,and,,,,,cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.02.00.SG.150-2.SG.bin) switch and it is showing Down Down, because there were no active switch port in the vlan, I added one switch port to this vlan but this port also in the down state, so i added the SWITCH PORT AUTO STATE EXCLUDE command under this port, even after this also the SVI never came up, So i added one systen to the port so both the switch port and the SVI came up...So why SWITCH PORT AUTO STATE EXCLUDE command have no effect in this model of the switch..Please help me...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is quite interesting.  I did some searching and came across several instances of people disabling autostate on the SVI interface to force the SVI up/up, but it sounds like it is a largely undocumented feature on only a certain number of Cisco products.

Here are a couple blog references to that idea:

http://blog.ioshints.info/2009/07/followup-vlan-interface-status.html

http://routerjockey.com/2011/03/07/svi-autostate/

So to answer your question, it sounds like the behavior you are familiar with did exist in some platforms. However, the switchport autostate exclude config as defined by Cisco documentation, and in testing on the 4500/Sup7, is used to exclude ports from SVI decision to come up.

Thanks, and please remember to rate any posts you find helpful.

Matt

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

By issuing this command on an interface, you are effectively telling the switch to no longer consider the state of that port in its determination as to whether the SVI should be up or down.  The default state for an SVI with no ports active is down/down.  This means that if you only have 1 port connected in that VLAN, and then you add switchport autostate exclude to that port's configuration, the SVI for that VLAN will go to down/down.  Note that you cannot use the switchport autostate exclude configuration to try to "pin" an SVI in up/up mode.

I've tested this successfully on a Sup7E running both 15.0(1)XO1 and 15.0(2)SG5. Example below, where Gi2/45 is only port in VLAN 164:

LAB-AR-4510-0-19#show int g2/45 status

Port      Name               Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Gi2/45    State-test         connected    164        a-full  a-100 10/100/1000-TX

LAB-AR-4510-0-19#show ip int br | inc Vlan164

Vlan164                10.0.164.1      YES NVRAM  up                    up

LAB-AR-4510-0-19#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

LAB-AR-4510-0-19(config)#int g2/45

LAB-AR-4510-0-19(config-if)#switchport autostate exclude

LAB-AR-4510-0-19(config-if)#do show ip int br | inc Vlan164

Vlan164                10.0.164.1      YES NVRAM  down                  down

LAB-AR-4510-0-19(config-if)#no switchport autostate exclude

LAB-AR-4510-0-19(config-if)#do show ip int br | inc Vlan164

Vlan164                10.0.164.1      YES NVRAM  up                    up

LAB-AR-4510-0-19(config-if)#end

As evidenced above, the switchport autostate exclude command successfully removes this port from consideration of whether the SVI should be up.

Does this help?

Matt

Hi matt,

thanks for your replay...

Is this will same for all the switch..Because i had an experiance in another model (3700) that there was only one port in vlan that was down state and so  the SVI was also down.But after giving the auto state exclude command under the port that is in the down state, SVI came UP UP...What you think....

That is quite interesting.  I did some searching and came across several instances of people disabling autostate on the SVI interface to force the SVI up/up, but it sounds like it is a largely undocumented feature on only a certain number of Cisco products.

Here are a couple blog references to that idea:

http://blog.ioshints.info/2009/07/followup-vlan-interface-status.html

http://routerjockey.com/2011/03/07/svi-autostate/

So to answer your question, it sounds like the behavior you are familiar with did exist in some platforms. However, the switchport autostate exclude config as defined by Cisco documentation, and in testing on the 4500/Sup7, is used to exclude ports from SVI decision to come up.

Thanks, and please remember to rate any posts you find helpful.

Matt

Thanks Matt

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card