Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch port remains down when connected to printer WS-C4507R+E

central_bank
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recenly replaced my old 4500 switch with latest WS-C4507R+E (Sup7L-E). After replacing the switch I found that switch port does not come up when connected particular type of Xerox printer.

I have tried all speed settings ( Auto as well as hardcoding the speed on switch as well as printer) but switch port remains down.

When I connect this printer to any other old switch port turns up (with auto as well as hardcoded speed)

This is happening with particual type of Xerox printers.

Any idea what is causing this?

8 Replies 8

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

What kind of module do you have in the 4500? What speeds does the printer support? I suppose you have tried another port, changed dable etc?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

I have WS-X4648-RJ45V+E

Printer max support upto 100mbps

I have already tried connecting it to other port with different cables. but same result

It looks like that line card supports PoE. Have you tried to disable PoE on the port with power inline never or what the current command is? Maybe it's trying to negotiate how much power to send out the port or something. Just a thought.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

I had already tried that too but no luck

After some R&D I found that when I remove portfast comand, port turns UP.

Really not sure why is that

Printers can behave oddly sometimes in terms of switchport configuration so its good to know its actually working.

Portfast is designed to put a switchport into forwarding state without going through the listening and learning stages. To be honest, the printer is likely switched on all the time anyway and I am sure they won't mind a few second delay if it does get rebooted.

Dear

daniel.dib

:

thanks for your help. I have save problem but when I type this command under interface the problem cleared. Please I want why I disabled POE the interface up ?!!

Hi,

I don't have much experience with PoE. My only guess is that it tries to negotiate with the device how much power it needs and when it gets no reply it does not bring the port up. Maybe it's a safety precaution. Hopefully someone with more PoE experience can clarify.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Dear

daniel.dib

thanks for your help and your interest ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card