Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch throughput of 2960x

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

The throughput of 2960x Lan base switches is 216 Gbps. Now lets consider its 24 port version. There are total of 24 ports plus 2 optional 10G uplinks.

24 x 1G ports = 24 G

2 x 10G ports = 20 G

Total of 44 Gbps. Then what about 216 - 44 = 172 Gbps ? Basically i am confused that, this switch only needs the max of 44 Gbps to run at full wire rate speed, then why its given 172 Gbps extra ?

And pls also correct me if am wrong in saying that this switch needs 44 Gbps

5 Replies 5

M. G.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It is not 24x1G but 24x2G and 2x20G becuse you have input and output. And then you have 80 Gbps for stacking module plus headers, etc...

Ok so full duplex would make it 88 Gbps ? still we have 216 - 88 = 128 Gbps extra.

I didnt understand your comment regarding the headers, i dont think they are to be counted.

Hi,

for example switch with 48 G ports + 2 SFP+ ports:

48 Gbps in and out which is 96 Gbps.

20 Gbps in and out which is 40 Gbps.

80 Gbps thrgouhput for stack module.

You get 96 + 40 + 80 = 216 Gbps.

In the datasheet you will just find 2960x performance.

No headers, you are right...

Regards,

So for 24 port switch, 216 is basically an over kill right ?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For the 24 port models, yes the switch's fabric is "overkill", but it's "just right" for the 48 port models.

My guess would be, Cisco uses the same fabric for both the 24 and 48 ports models, but the 24 port models will have 48 Gbps of fabric capacity they won't use.  The only downside, in theory, is you might be able to built the 24 port models for a little less if they had only their required fabric capacity, but maybe not if you're going to have both models.

For all we know, like CPU and RAM chip makers, perhaps 24 port models use a "univeral" 2960X fabric, but it didn't pass some tests for supporting the 48 gig edge ports.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card