cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch to switch tunneling of vlans across wan accessports

tstokkeland
Level 1
Level 1

I tried searching the forums for this, but the search functionality is not all that great, so I am not sure if this is a frequent topic or not.

I have this setup - this was all here before I got onboard, so never had the luxury to play and test anything.

Site A:

4507R SupV Core

Site B:

4507R SupV Core

both of them this version: (cat4000-I9S-M), Version 12.2(25)EWA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Link Between Sites - this is what I have been told:

1gbps Lit circuit from a local cable company, handed off as a (Copper) access port

It is actually handed off from Dell Switches, which I have no access to configure or view.

I dont know what kind of limitations it has or doesnt have, I assume mtu is 1500.

The cable company does not exactly have qualified techs, and are not interrested in helping me out.

gfx:
4507-GbePort--->Access-port--CableLitWAN--Access-port<---4507-GbePort

I have been told vlan 1q does not work if enabled on these links, so right now they are ure IP/routed. It would really help me a lot if I could in some way enable vlan'ing across.

I found the document (chapter 21) "Configuring 802.1q and Layer 2 Protocl tunneling", I never done tunneling before, so I am seeking some advice.  That document seems to focus on linking sites which may have overlapping vlans? I dont have overlapping vlans, I just want to get vlans across, both sides now run VTP, configs match actually  - from reading that document I get confused, and wish I had a link offline to just play with with this..

any advice would be apprectiated

3 Replies 3

Karel Vins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

your provider could use dot1q tunneling to allow you to use trunk connection between your switches.

If your provider have pure access port you can do almost nothing with cat 4500.

You can do e.g. L2TP tunnel with different HW.

Regards,

Karel V.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need a router at each location and configure L2TPv3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html

ok thats what I was afraid of - thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco