Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch

I have two Cisco SF 300-48P 10/100 PoE Managed Switch, and I am trying to connect the switch over 220  feet distance with a Cat 6 cable but it does not work. Data of the cable in the PDF File

If I connect my Computer to it I have internet on the PC, but if I connect the second switch I get no connection.

If I connect the two switch over 10 feet distance it works fine.

Is the distance to long???

In the document of the switch is written 100 meters is possible

I have to do some settings??

Thank you for helping

Br. Raphael

5 Replies 5

Hello,

you typically would need a crossover cable. On the SF300 you can set the MDIX to 'auto' (page 127/128 of the attached guide)...

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

I used a crossover adapter but it does not work with it.
MDIX is Auto
is there a difference between a crossover cable and crossover adapter???

Thanks for help

Hello

100 metres on cat 6 is the limit-  it’s possible taking cabling management into consideration your exceeding the defined limitations of copper 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Good point ! I seem to recall that there is actually Cat 6 and Cat 6a, where Cat 6 has a limit of somewhere around 50 meters for >10G, whereas Cat 6a goes up to 100 meters for these data rates. Although you don't have 10G ports, at least make sure you are using 6a...

What is cabling management???
Thanks for help
Br. Raphael
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card