Views
Helpful
Replies

switches not pinging

Scott_O'Brien
Level 1
Level 1

hey all,

have a very odd issue, every now and again a switch will not be pingable it will drop about 10 pings and then the pings will come back alive, durring this time traffic is not affected at all only the pings,

it seems that untill the switch is pinged it will appear down ( our monitoring software tell's us its down) once a few pings are send the switch will come back.

any ideas?

thanks

20 Replies 20

the other devices notice that it has gone down ( ie cant ping the managment ip) but data traffic is fine, this is happening on more then one switch and they are all connected via fiber.

thanks for that, yea the interfaces dont go down at all just managment traffic seems to fail, i have seen this happen on nortel when a switch is under heavy load but thats only becouse the nortel have managment traffic set to be a low priority.

none the less most of the switchs that have this issue are not under heavey load.

Aileron88
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using VTP Pruning?

Your management vlan could be 'pruned' off the link in some circumstances. Can you provide a 'sh VTP status' output.

If pruning is enabled try a 'switchport trunk pruning vlan except xx' for your management vlan on all trunk ports.

Cheers

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Scott,

Antonio made some nimportant points there...

few things:

1.) as you are running fibre please make sure that:you have UDLD enabled

2.) Check the fibre interfaces for errors

3.) It seems as pointed before that you have some arp plobems therefore I would schedule a quick outages and restart distribution switch first and one access per time to see if it makes any difference...

Good luck mate

Fabio

vtp prunning isnt running on the network, i will enable udld and check it out but if it was a fiber issue wouldnt it be dropping data traffic as well not just managment traffic?

we are using a collapsed core, we have a nortel core if that helps at all, so far its only been cisco switches that seem to have this issue.

Yes it would... but are you sure that it isn't? udld should be enabled in both sides of the link... not too sure how this is called in nortel.

I would schedule an outage and restart your nortel device....

yea i am 100% sure data traffic is unaffected. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: