Can anyone tell difference between

Backplane (Gbps) 

Forwarding rate (Mbps)  

Stacking Bandwidth (GbpsGbps) 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

in short:

Backplane capacity indicates how much data can flow between the different modules of the switch. The bus speed of a PC (measured on MHz) can be considered as the equivalent of the backplane in a switch.

The forwarding rate refers to the number of frames per second that a device can transmit/switch.

Switching bandwidth is the actual throughput that is achieved between ports. Take the example below:

Forwarding rate: 1000000 packets per second (pps)

Packet size: 100kb

This amounts to:

Switching bandwidth: 800000000Mbps (1000000 (pps) x 100kb x 8)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

in short:

Backplane capacity indicates how much data can flow between the different modules of the switch. The bus speed of a PC (measured on MHz) can be considered as the equivalent of the backplane in a switch.

The forwarding rate refers to the number of frames per second that a device can transmit/switch.

Switching bandwidth is the actual throughput that is achieved between ports. Take the example below:

Forwarding rate: 1000000 packets per second (pps)

Packet size: 100kb

This amounts to:

Switching bandwidth: 800000000Mbps (1000000 (pps) x 100kb x 8)

You are telling about Switching Bandwidth, can I belive that stacking and switching Bandwidth is same?

Hello,

stacking bandwidth as in stack bandwidth ? It refers to the total amount of available in a stacked configuration. The value Cisco gives is usually the value that is available when the maximum stack members are fully connected to each other... 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have you tried searching these forums, as your is not the first question on this subject?

If you don't find a suitable answer, post that.

I always believe experts knowledge ,appalogies for my laziness. 

Remember, it's not always "experts" that reply to questions. However, if an answer is totally wrong, an "expert" might notice and correct, but that's not guaranteed.

No need to apologize. The only reason I asked whether you had searched the forums for prior answers, it's often a treasure trove of great information. You only do yourself a disservice if you don't try searching it. Plus, with what you might learn from prior posts, you often can ask a much more focused question which often stands a better chance of being well answered.

Got it
Thank you
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card