In the following display,

Console> (enable) show module

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------

1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE yes ok

15 1 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC no ok

2 2 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE yes standby

4 4 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6248-RJ-45 no ok

What would session slot 1 and slot 4 take me to ? The upstream router I believe can be accessed by session slot 2.

To which module should I console in to create VLAN on the 48 port switch.

Rgds.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"Meaning, if the 6500 was a native mode type, I would see the prompt

Router>"

Correct (or whatever hostname you have ever given it)

And yes if you are running in native mode you configure both the Layer 2 and Layer 3 from the same prompt.

There is no such thing as a Layer 3 vlan as such, as vlans are really Layer 2. If the switch is running in native mode then you have access to both the supervisor and the MSFC from the same command prompt.

In hybrid mode you have access to the supervisor via CatOS and the MSFC via IOS.

Jon

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are running CatOS on the supervisor and IOS on the MSFC.

To create a vlan

Console(enable) set vlan 10 name client_vlan

To assign ports on your 48 port module into that vlan

Console(enable) set vlan 10 4/21

would assign port 4/21 into vlan 10. You configure all modules from the suprevisor using CatOS execept for the MSFC where you use IOS.

To get to the MSFC from the supervisor

Console>(enable) sess 15

to get back to supervisor just type "exit"

Jon

Let me get it right Jon. Are the following correct combinations

1) 6500 could provide IOS Supervisor and IOS MSFC

or

2) 6500 could you provide CatOS Supervisor and IOS MSFC.

Secondly, if I were to do session 4 (i.e.

4 4 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6248-RJ-45 no ok

what would it take me to in both supervisor types.

1) IOS on both is called "native" mode.

2) IOS on MSFC and CatOS on supervisor is called "hybrid" mode.

Not sure i follow when you say would sess 4 take me in to both supervisor types. I have never sessioned to an ethernet module and i'm not sure why you would want to.

Your switch is running in hybrid OR native - it cannot be running both. To configure ethernet ports on a module you do it with either CatOS in hybrid or IOS in native.

Jon

Meaning, if the 6500 was a native mode type, I would see the prompt

Router>

And is it here where I can define all the bunch of VLANs for interfacing with FWSM, ACE, IDSM etc and assign switchports to various hosts.

Lastly, can a Layer 3 VLAN be defined on the switch module or it necessarily has to be on the MSFC i.e. SVI.

Thanks.

I believe typically you would do a session 15 to get to the active MSRP from the switch.

Also, you would want to create the vlans on both the switch and MSFC if you want to route the vlans.

I usually create the vlan on the switch first, assign a port to that vlan (you must or L3 vlan on MSFC won't come up), then create the SVI on the MSFC.

Please rate if this helps..

"Meaning, if the 6500 was a native mode type, I would see the prompt

Router>"

Correct (or whatever hostname you have ever given it)

And yes if you are running in native mode you configure both the Layer 2 and Layer 3 from the same prompt.

There is no such thing as a Layer 3 vlan as such, as vlans are really Layer 2. If the switch is running in native mode then you have access to both the supervisor and the MSFC from the same command prompt.

In hybrid mode you have access to the supervisor via CatOS and the MSFC via IOS.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: