cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching

rakshitsrinivas
Level 1
Level 1

Can we connect PC to a trunk port instead of access port and allow only one vlan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The whyness still stumbles me....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, as long as the PC is capable of trunking.

HTH

How do we verify if a normal pc is capable of trunking?

@rakshitsrinivas Hi PC does not understand trunk or access port. But as you have connected your PC to trunk port and want to allow only one VLAN than you need to apply VLAN access list to allow only specific VLAN.

Hope that help.

Thanks

Krishna

@Kt43387 Thanks for your reply

so we are applying access list to allow a specific vlan on a trunk link since we want to make a trunk port to allow a specific vlan or desired vlan am i right? correct me if i am wrong?

Examination of the NIC driver may indicate such support. (If the PC is designed to be a server, the hardware likely supports VLAN tagging, I believe VM sometimes uses it for different VMs.)

@Joseph W. Doherty i can give the scenario for example

Normal pc on a trunk port allowing one vlan as desired------switch-----rest of the topology

For your example, usually a PC using only one VLAN would use untagged frames, i.e. a switch access port. However, the switch can easily make the port a trunk and limit it to one VLAN. Then the port would expect to use tagged frames. Again, it would be up to the PC whether it can support that.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The whyness still stumbles me....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: