cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport Access Vlan on a ISR 4431

Mark H
Level 1
Level 1

So we're finally replacing an old Cisco 2801 router with a fancy new ISR 4431. However we've been caught out, the old 2801 had access vlans assigned to physical interfaces and it seems this is a no-no on a 4431.

Is our only solution to put in a switch module?

Below is what we used to have.

interface FastEthernet0/3/0
 description FW
 switchport access vlan 202
 duplex full
 speed 100
!
interface FastEthernet0/3/1
 description FW
 switchport access vlan 202
 duplex full
 speed 100
!
interface Vlan202
 ip address 192.168.0.5 255.255.255.0
!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey

so you probably had a hwic switching module in the 2801 , these 4431 are pure layer 3 you would need to add a module if supported to get layer 2 port access like that

Looking at this comparison model it says no to switch module but there not always accurate I would check with the supplier you got it from ask them are there l2 modules available for this switch , other option push the vlans back onto a layer 3 switch and route between switch and router or use old method router and stick setup with l2 switch

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey

so you probably had a hwic switching module in the 2801 , these 4431 are pure layer 3 you would need to add a module if supported to get layer 2 port access like that

Looking at this comparison model it says no to switch module but there not always accurate I would check with the supplier you got it from ask them are there l2 modules available for this switch , other option push the vlans back onto a layer 3 switch and route between switch and router or use old method router and stick setup with l2 switch

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

Thanks Mark,

You're exactly right, we have overlooked that our old routers have a HWIC-4ESW switching module. We'll procure some NIM-ES2-4 modules for the new 4431 routers.

Did this work for you?   I'm in a similar situation.  

I see where the url referenced above shows N/A for switched Ethernet ports for the 4431. However, as you apparently noticed as well, other documentation shows the NIM-ES2-4 and NIM-ES2-8 supported in the ISR 4431.

Hi Mike,

Yes, using the NIM-ES2-4 module worked for us. We did need to upgrade the IOS-XE (I think) version, but afterwards we were able to apply a vlan to the interfaces without issue.

Hi Mark,

I have a similar situation. I need to create L3 vlans on cisco isr 4431. My uplink is a switch and my down link is also a switch so in this case the router on stick method is going to work? Or what other options i have. Also i have 2 ISR's in between on which i need to configure redundancy groups for HA.

Thank's

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card