cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SWV design guidance: using 4 switches in 2 SWV domains as two virtual core switches

RB6502
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that only two switches can make up a SWV cluster/stack. I am working on a design that needs to ensure 100% uptime.  From my general networking experience as well as reading about VSS/SWV configuration and troubleshooting discussions, there are a number of scenarios that may come up where both stack members need to be rebooted in order to affect a change.  

So I'm thinking that one way to better meet that requirement would be to create say, two separate SWV stacks, each consisting of two Catalyst 9540 switches.  Each stack would have its own SWV domain.  At that point, I guess I could connect the stacks together over a very high speed Etherchannel (say, two or more 40G links).  That way if one entire  stack had to go down for maintenance, the other stack could take over during the outage.

Are there any special design aspects to consider using this approach?  Would the best practice be to say, use one, two-port Multi-Chassis Etherchannel from each distribution switch, landing on each stack member in SWV Domain A; and another MEC from each distribution switch similarly landing on each stack member in SWV Domain B?

15 Replies 15

the design consideration, and known caveats in VSS / SVL design. split-brain become active. that is the main requirement to have dual-path dual redundancy cable requirement, so it will not become a dual split brian scenario here.

you can also consider - if you do not require full L2, You can also deploy non-VSS both the chassis, in this case, both work simultaneously with independently.

do you have the high-level diagram to understand how you have network topology, rather complicated or over-engineering here?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card