Views
Helpful
Replies

TCAM portions, ACL portion,

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody

Tcam is divided into different portions ; each portion then stores a database   . For example, Fib portion holds fib data structure; ACl portion stores acl.

Let focus on ACL portion.

My switching book says   each unique mask ( that includes mask for  source and destination ip) has 8 pattern entries. For example given  below, the pattern entry is 192.168.199.4, 10.41.0.0  , so 7 pattern entries are available for mask1.

I am reading about troublshooting TCAM in CCNP Tshoot book,  I quoted below from my book.

As an example, the Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series switch supports a collection of show tcam commands, whereas Cisco Catalyst 3560 and 3750 Series switches support a series of show platform tcam commands. Consider the output from the show tcam inacl 1 statistics command issued on a Cisco Catalyst 3550 switch, as shown in Example 5-18

. The number 1 indicates TCAM number one, because the Cisco Catalyst 3550 has three TCAMs. The inacl refers to access control lists applied in the ingress direction.

Cat3550# show tcam inacl 1 statistics
Ingress ACL TCAM#1: Number of active labels: 3
Ingress ACL TCAM#1: Number of masks   allocated:   14, available:  402
Ingress ACL TCAM#1: Number of entries allocated:  17, available: 3311

1)what does " Number of entries allocated" refer to?  Does it refer to pattern entries discussed at the very beginning of this post?

2) Both  inbound ACL and outbound ACL are stored in ACL portion of TCAM.  Does the command " Show tcam inacl 1 statistics" above shows only inbound acl stored in ACL portion of TCAM ?

thanks and have a great weekend.

2 Replies 2

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

hello Sarah,

My pc is not showing that attached pic. Sorry my bad cant read the question.

But looks like Show tcam inacl 1 statistics shows Ingress ACL TCAM,

http://www.chainringcircus.org/layer-3-switch-troubleshooting/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a00801e7bb9.shtml

thanks

Hi Singh

I just fixed the issue; I hope you can see the output now.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card