Views
Helpful
Replies

Te1/1/X Bias Current Sensor Solar Wind Alert

shaharshad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We recently added new Solarwind NPM 12 server but on adding all 4500 (with version 03.03.02.S​G )switches i am getting alerts "Te1/1/X Bias Current Sensor on all switches". its severity level is critical and i am getting same message on all ports of every switch. What can be the possible reason.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cisco TAC told me the Bias Current value expressed in mA is not the most interesting one to monitor the health of fiber links. This value has been removed from the recent Cisco IOS XE images that's why it is not displayed on the result of the command # show int tex/x transceiver detail.

You can use the Optical Transmit/Receive Power values to monitor the health of fiber links.

By checking on the Distribution switch (Cat6800 running another IOS flavor), the Bias Current value is displayed and is between thresholds.
So the problem is located on Solarwinds side.

Solarwinds didn't provide any hotfix yet.
As a workaround, you can disable the polling of the Current Bias sensor:
Settings > All Settings > Manage Hardware Sensors > Group By Node, and disable the sensor.

Hope it can help you,
Sylvain.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

This is usually an issue with the IOS you are running and not NPM. If you open a ticket with TAC, they maybe able to help mitigate the issue. Just to be sure you may want to open a ticket with SloarWinds as well.

HTH

Thanks Reza,

Can't open a ticket with Cisco at the moment :). Is there any tested solution.

Hi,

I am not sure about tested solution but I have seen other messages like having sensor issue with 5ks an 6k and getting alerts from SolarWinds.

HTH

Sylvain_Che
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We also have the same issue. We upgraded to Solarwinds NPM 12 recently and alerts have been created on every TenGig interfaces of our all Cat 4500 (3.7.3E).

Before NPM 12, we had no alert on those switches. So I think the problem comes from Solarwinds.

Do you have an explanation from Solarwinds support yet?

On Cat4500, do you know how to display the current value for an interface? The 'show int tex/x transsceiver detail' doesn't display that value.

Regards

Cisco TAC told me the Bias Current value expressed in mA is not the most interesting one to monitor the health of fiber links. This value has been removed from the recent Cisco IOS XE images that's why it is not displayed on the result of the command # show int tex/x transceiver detail.

You can use the Optical Transmit/Receive Power values to monitor the health of fiber links.

By checking on the Distribution switch (Cat6800 running another IOS flavor), the Bias Current value is displayed and is between thresholds.
So the problem is located on Solarwinds side.

Solarwinds didn't provide any hotfix yet.
As a workaround, you can disable the polling of the Current Bias sensor:
Settings > All Settings > Manage Hardware Sensors > Group By Node, and disable the sensor.

Hope it can help you,
Sylvain.

tahscolony
Level 1
Level 1

I now have this issue too. Before it was just reporting on two interfaces that are on standby, but I just looked at them while trying to retrieve the part number for the SFP and discovered it is reporting issues on 3 interface that have not had previous alerts, and on the same interfaces on the second switch(two switch VSS) they are showing no issues even though they are all the same SFP connecting to same hardware.

I don't know if it is NPM 12 or the IOS at this point since I don't know when the extra interfaces went  "down".

shaharshad
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Sylvain, recently I punch a case and got almost similar answer and. Cisco said its a cusmatic error. However they didn't guide to disable the sensor.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card