Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet CMD & Configuration of VLAN's

jord9857
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm currently learning about switching with my Cisco SF300 small business switch 24 port, I'm looking to then set up VLAN's etc.

So I've set up multiple VLAN's ID's but yet to link them up to the 'Port To VLAN's' in simple terms what are the different memberships for? & Which option is the preferred one to be using in my instance to have a few random devices connected in the 'Port to VLAN's' in both of the tables in the screenshot? Screenshot attached

I've changed the default IP address for my switch, installed the 'Telnet' from programs and features, when i go to normal or admin CMD, type in 'telnet (new switch IP address) it comes up with this 'Connecting to (switch IP address)...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connected Failed' Is this because my switch is yet to have an active Ethernet connection yet? Is there somewhere i can enable Telnet on my switch? As I'm having the same issue trying to search my switch on 'PuTTY' just comes up as 'Connection Refuse' on any of of the options e.g. SSH.  I've tried disabling my firewall - no use. Having the wireless connection turned on or off doesn't make a difference.

Kind Regards

Jord

10 Replies 10

brilliant! thank you very much, telnet works for both PuTTY & CMD now.

Do you have anything on setting up VLAN's on this model of switch please? I'm unsure on the tables on 'Port to VLAN' shown in screenshot.

Hi @jord9857 

Check this link about vlans:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-200-series-smart-switches/smb80-vlan-configuration-on-the-200-300-series-managed-switches.html

Regards

Remember to mark the answers as solved, because that helps other users with similar doubts.

Hi @luis_cordova,

I've seen this thanks.

So would i be best setting the 'Port to VLAN' options to Tagged or Untagged as i guess Excluded & Forbidden isn't helpful in my instance for all my VLAN's?

How would I be able to assigning the VLAN's to my ports on my switch? 

Thanks

Jord

Hi @jord9857 

Check the guide I attached.
To create a new vlan, follow steps 1, 2, 3 and 5

Then, under the subtitle "Configuration of Port to Vlan" follow steps 1 and 2, leaving tagged the interface you want to have that vlan.

Regards

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There are two types of menu in the switch as "Membership of VLAN" and "Port to VLAN", both are doing save task but in a different way. 

If you will choose Port to VLAN then you can see that it will show all port details for a VLAN and type of port. You can change VLAN in the drop-down menu on the top. But Membership to the VLAN option is doing the same.

As per the screenshot attached by you, we are looking that VLAN is untagged on all the physical ports on the switch and all ports in the Trunk mode. 

How to change VLAN type on the Physical port:

As suppose you want to configure VLAN 1 must be tagged on Physical port E2:

then steps as:

1. Open "Port to VLAN" page and select VLAN 1

2. Click on GO button

3. Select E2 interface and click on the Tagged button and don't forget to click on apply.

As you said that now you can access the switch using the Telnet and SSH and it is good news.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi @Deepak Kumar@luis_cordova,

So if i apply a VLAN to 1 port which i only want for 1 port, i put that port as Tagged & then for the rest i put the rest as forbidden or excluded the apply and move onto the next VLAN?

For best practice, should i leave port 1 (default) untagged for config & use port 2 for the ethernet cable from my router as untagged as well?

Thank you

Jord

or does just leaving the rest of the ports for that VLAN 'untagged' still prevent the other ports from joining that VLAN not assigned to that port?

Kind Regards

Jord

Hi,

I assigned the VLAN's to the ports i would like as 'Tagged' and left the other ports as 'Excluded' as default. However, when i plug the ethernet cable from any ports to my laptop, it's flashing orange with a solid red light on my laptop & 'Unidentified Network'? Switch is all flashing green. Port 24 is the Ethernet cable from my router.

Also how can i see that all the VLAN's are working and traffic in the web portal?

When i go into CMD 'telnet (switch ip)' & PuTTY, how can i get into console mode where i can type commands?

Kind Regards

Jord

any idea's regarding reply above?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: