cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing Cable TDR.. getting shorts on pair c and d

joshhboss
Level 1
Level 1

So I am just getting my feet wet with cisco switches.. and i was really excited about being able to test cables with the TDR function.. but i have noticed that when i test the cables with IP cameras (always negotiate at 10/100) the test shows a fail on pair c and d.. Is there anyway to get the test to show just if the pair is good.? i tried to force the negotiation at 1000 but it still shows me the shorts on c and d.. is this something i will not be able to get around because the camera does not have the ability to go 1gig.. 

using cisco 2960s POE 24 port and 48

Thank you 

4 Replies 4

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Pairs C and D are only tested for GiagbitEthernet links, so there's nothing you can do, except using a Gig port. See more reference about TDR here:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/how-to-use-time-domain-reflectometer-tdr/ta-p/3119327

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Hi,

They are gig ports.. just the cameras negotiate at 10/100.. i just figured the tdr was a function for testing the pairs.. :(.. i tried power inline never. and still reads shorts on pairs c and d.. and the cable is definitely good. 

:(!

Hi,

It negotiated FastEthernet, so even though it's a physical Gig port and capable cable, it runs as FastEthernet, thus TDR does the same.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

short/short is ok for gig ports when speed is not 1 gig; results are ok if they show
normal
normal
short
short
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco