cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tftp, ping not responding on switch to laptop

DavidIverson
Level 1
Level 1

I've done this dozens of times, but for some reason I am unable to ping my laptop or create a tftp connection from inside the switch. I am, however, able to communicate from my laptop to the switch with no problems. I double-checked my steps in setting up the connection on the following link: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/162326?decorator=print&displayFullThread=true

I would rather upgrade my IOS on the switch from the command prompt rather than push using the web interface from the laptop. I am running Windows 7. Has anyone else run into this issue before?

Thanks in adavnace,

David

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David

Check to see if Windows is running a firewall which would block pings. It may well be and you would need to either disable it or allow tftp.

Jon

View solution in original post

Sounds more like somethiongon your PC is not allowing connections from the switch. I know that Windows Firewall blocks the ICMP and TFTP prots.

Make sure windows FW is disabled or any other firewall and/or antivirus.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David,

When you are able to ping from tftp server (laptop) to switch it is fine whcih means the communication between your tftp server and switch is ok.

What is your problem?

And make sure you have started the tftp servers tftp-application-->configure

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

The problem comes in that I am unable to communicate from the switch prompt (Switch#) to the laptop. I cannot get a ping response or trtp session from the switch and am puzzled as to why. Laptop to switch, as you said, is fine. But why not switch to laptop? Thanks for the response.

Are you able to ping the DG from switch?

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,

Naidu.

There are no other devices. Just a Cat5 between the laptop and the switch on a closed network.

Hi,

is the network location of your interface public?  if so change it to private and try again.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

davy.timmermans
Level 4
Level 4

Hi David,

Can you tell a little bit about your physical setup? staging setup( only your pc and the switch) , ...

The switch you try to ping from is configured as L3?

Is it within the same vlan/subnet(pc/switch) you try to ping?

What do you mean about pc to switch is ok? How did you test this?

From a DOS prompt on the laptop, I get a response when pinging the switch. But from the switch#, the ping to the laptop times out. Thanks for the responses.

Hi,

Did you see my previous post? have you verified network location of your NIC ?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Can you clarify for me? I have the switch and laptop directly connected. There are no other devices involved. The switchport is a member of Vlan 1. No DG involved.

I am wondering, as someone else suggested, if it may be an inbound firewall rule. The laptop is running a corporate image. I will see if I can disable it.

Hi David, stop all virtual machines you might running on the laptop. As we fixed the same problem by keeping only ONE ip address for both i.e. laptop and TFTP server running on it. We have to close all other VM machines, logged out, logged in. Ran TFTP server and Job done :)

Mark this answer if it fixed yours. Thanks

David

Check to see if Windows is running a firewall which would block pings. It may well be and you would need to either disable it or allow tftp.

Jon

Sounds more like somethiongon your PC is not allowing connections from the switch. I know that Windows Firewall blocks the ICMP and TFTP prots.

Make sure windows FW is disabled or any other firewall and/or antivirus.

DavidIverson
Level 1
Level 1

OK, corporate MIS has determined "there may be an issue" with the image for Windows 7 and are working to rectify the matter. ICMP and TFTP don't want to function correctly on some Windows 7 deployments. Thanks all for your input. I thought I was going crazy.

Regards,

David

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card