cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The biggest rapid-pvst diameter

Pesand
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I would like to know what is the biggest possible rapid-pvst diameter and how to set it up? Do I need to set timers on primary and secondary root switch only or it must be set on every switch? How do I count timers for specific diameter? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Hello
The recommendation is stp max diameter is 7 meaning 7 hops between the farthest end points in the local network however i would say it can be higher but not much higher.

Along with the 3 known stp timers ( hello- forward delay and max-age) in an stp bpdu there is another timer called message age (default 0) which increases by 1 as an stp bpdu traverses each switch through the lan

This message age field timer is subtracted from the defined max age timer as such the further way the switches are the less time the bpdu has to refresh until a point stp becomes unstable as such cisco does recommend certain timer limits to be appended to a lan

review this

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I found somewhere that max-age value is in fact max count of hops when using rapid-pvst. Is it true? Is it possible to have a correctly working circle with let´s say 20 or 30 switches running rapid-pvst? I know that such a big network should be separated and routed, but is it possible to keep it on L2?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card