cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The mac address status is abnormal and cannot be clear on Cat9000 switch !

Hi all: We have met a problem on Cat9300 switch recently. The Catalyst 9300 as a access switch,and connect PC or IP Phone+PC.I find a symptom that is so strange,the mac address status from PC is shown 'static' by 'sho mac address-table ' command , and i didn't configure static mac address binding. A mac address will appear on another port and show 'static ' status after i disconnect the PC few hours.So it will make it PC cannot access the switch port next time.I must clear authen session on abnomal ports if i want to access. This issue happen on multiple ports. sw software version is 16.9.2. Here is the abnormal status: 'bbbb.xxxx.xxxx ' and 'bbbb.xxxx.xxxx ' are other PC's MAC address. 'aaaa.xxxx.xxxx ' is the PC which connect G1/0/1,and there is not other device on G1/0/1,only the PC 'aaaa.xxxx.xxxx '. interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 switchport mode access switchport voice vlan 10 device-tracking attach-policy DT_Policy authentication event fail action authorize vlan 20 authentication host-mode multi-auth authentication open authentication order dot1x mab authentication port-control auto mab dot1x pae authenticator spanning-tree portfast Have you encountered such a problem? Is there a solution?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
10 Replies 10

Here is the abnormal status: 'bbbb.xxxx.xxxx ' and 'bbbb.xxxx.xxxx ' are other PC's MAC address. 'aaaa.xxxx.xxxx ' is the PC which connect G1/0/1,and there is not other device on G1/0/1,only the PC 'aaaa.xxxx.xxxx '.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Upgrade to 16.9.4 and try again.

Hi Leo, Thanks for your response. Please tell us what you think. Have you encountered this problem before? Why upgrade to 16.9.4? Thx & BR

I also see release 16.9.3 is the suggested release on cisco software download page.

Kindly provide show run of the issue port. Also, I feel if you have authentication mac address will be shown as static. But need to check your configuration before concluding anything.

There is the configuration of the issue port: interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 switchport mode access switchport voice vlan 10 device-tracking attach-policy DT_Policy authentication event fail action authorize vlan 20 authentication host-mode multi-auth authentication open authentication order dot1x mab authentication port-control auto mab dot1x pae authenticator spanning-tree portfast i don't know why some mac address will appear on another port,even though this pc don't connect the port.For example , PC-A connect to g1/0/10,PC-B connect to g1/0/20, PC-A's mac will appear on g1/0/20 after PC-A disconnect the port few hours. Is this a bug about this symptom ?

Sorry, this format is always confusing.
Replenish the configuration under the interface:
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 10
device-tracking attach-policy DT_Policy
authentication event fail action authorize vlan 20
authentication host-mode multi-auth
authentication open
authentication order dot1x mab
authentication port-control auto
mab
dot1x pae authenticator
spanning-tree portfast

I don't recommend software based on a "star". I recommend software versions based on the number of bugs fixed.
Read the Release Notes of 16.9.4.

We also observe this behavior, Cisco C9300-48U running Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT9K_IOSXE), Version 16.9.4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) MAC adresses behind Phones and mab-ports (radius) are registered as static and do not vanish, even with "authentication periodic". Any suggestions?

Maybe,you can try "authentication mac-move permit" command.
use the authentication mac-move permit global configuration command to enable MAC move on a switch.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card