Views
Helpful
Replies

The procedure to install license

ohforce55
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I haven't installed any license on router, switch, and fw before and always wanted to know the steps to install it...

Would you please provide me how to install the license from A to Z?

How can I get the license first of all?

Thank you in advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

This document explains how to do it on most routers its generally the same but commands can vary between routers and switch platforms ,it talks about the PAK product activation key too you get when you buy your license off your Cisco reseller and a link of how to use it , once installed in your flash or bootflash depending on device its few basic steps to follow to activate it

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/sw_activation/SA_on_ISR.html#pgfId-1097551

Installing a Permanent License Using Cisco IOS CLI

To install a permanent license, perform the steps detailed in this section.

Note You can install multiple licenses on the Cisco 4400, 4300, 3900, 2900, and 1900 series ISRs.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. license install stored-location-url

3. reload

View solution in original post

Order a license through normal Cisco sales channels and processes. The product must be activated by installing license “keys." After purchasing a software feature, you will:

Receive an email with the Product Authorization Key (PAK) or you can receive the Claim Certificate (PAK) by regular mail. Note: if your order was placed through a partner, you may need to contact your partner to obtain a copy of this email.

Register the PAK at www.cisco.com/go/license

Receive an activation email with the license key(s)

Install key(s) rom the activation key email using the license install command

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

This document explains how to do it on most routers its generally the same but commands can vary between routers and switch platforms ,it talks about the PAK product activation key too you get when you buy your license off your Cisco reseller and a link of how to use it , once installed in your flash or bootflash depending on device its few basic steps to follow to activate it

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/sw_activation/SA_on_ISR.html#pgfId-1097551

Installing a Permanent License Using Cisco IOS CLI

To install a permanent license, perform the steps detailed in this section.

Note You can install multiple licenses on the Cisco 4400, 4300, 3900, 2900, and 1900 series ISRs.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. license install stored-location-url

3. reload

Mark,

Thank you so much! How and where can I get the license?

Do I have to purchase it from vendor? How will they give me the license? (Thru email?)

Thanks!

Order a license through normal Cisco sales channels and processes. The product must be activated by installing license “keys." After purchasing a software feature, you will:

Receive an email with the Product Authorization Key (PAK) or you can receive the Claim Certificate (PAK) by regular mail. Note: if your order was placed through a partner, you may need to contact your partner to obtain a copy of this email.

Register the PAK at www.cisco.com/go/license

Receive an activation email with the license key(s)

Install key(s) rom the activation key email using the license install command

Thank you so much abache!!

Unfortunately we have ordered additional licenses ..is it possible to return it to Cisco ??

Hi

I am trying to do the same but when after I type license install stored-location-url the router gives me an error like this 

% Error: The device with UDI ASDFFDSAS not found, but the UDI it´s OK...

What I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card