Views
Helpful
Replies

THRESHOLD_VIOLATION:

ahmed.gadi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have stacked WS-C3750E-24PD with TenGigabitEthernet ports configured under ether-channel. It has c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin IOS installed on it.

One of the TenGigabitEthernet ports, goes to err-disable mode with following errors on that specific ports.

%SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/0/2: Tx power low alarm; Operating value: -31.0 dBm, Threshold value:  -9.0 dBm.

%SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/0/2: Tx power low alarm; Operating value: -31.0 dBm, Threshold value:  -9.0 dBm. (DROmx-1-1)

I have gone through some of CSC forums like

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2064472

The workaround is to "Remove the X2 or SFP from the inactive uplink port" which is not in my case.

Please let me know how to solve this issue, will upgrading IOS help ?

Thanks & Regards

Ahmed...

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's the result with the command "sh int status err"?

CORE_SWITCH#sh int status | in err

Te2/3/1                         err-disabled unassigned   full    10G 10Gbase-SR

I am sorry the above output is from CORE_SWITCH, where the stacked switches are connected.

STACKED_SWITCH#sh int status | in not

Te1/0/2                      notconnect   trunk        full    10G 10GBase-SR

That's not the output I was looking for.  Can you please try "sh int status err"?

oh sorry i overlooked it I will submit the output soon.

CORE_SWITCH#sh int status err

Port             Name               Status       Reason

Te2/3/1                             err-disabled    link-flap

Hi Leo,

This is the output i got from Core switch and this port is connected to my affected port of server farm switch. As mentioned above, on server farm switch it says notconnected.

Regards

Ahmed...

link-flap

Could be one of two things:

1.  Your fibre is faulty; or

2.  Your 10Gb SR module is failing.

blaible
Level 1
Level 1

Ahmed,

I ran into this exact same violation with a 10Gbase-SR interface on a WS-C3750E-24TD connecting to an ASA 5585X. The troubleshooting steps were to reseat the SR module and clean the fibers. However, this didn't clear the errors. Fortunately I had a spare 10Gbase-SR module, swapped it out and that resolved the issue.

Bruce

oh ok,,, I have total of 8 switches and all have same 10Gbase-SR interface, but 2 switches have this issue. May be your steps will help me. I will update you soon after i will get maintenance window later this weekends.

Thanks

Are these new fibers (i.e. never used before)? If so, you might also consider trying a new fiber pair if nothing else works. Otherwise an RMA might be in order…

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card