cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

To upgrade the 3750 IOS or not to

Ricky S
Level 3
Level 3

Hey everyone, I am running a stack of 3750s (8) at the data center core. It's been up and running for over 2 years with no major issues so far (did I just jinx myself?). Issue is, they are all running the Version 12.2(55)SE1 of the IOS. Is there any real need for me to go to 15.x?

On a separate, yet related note, ever since I upgraded my core routers to Version 15.2(3)T3, my EIGRP offset list stopped working. I even opened a case with TAC a while back and they agreed it to be a bug. I'm wondering if I upgrade the IOS on the 3750s also to 15.x, would the issue be resolved?

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have seen quite a few posts related to IOS 15 issues and bugs.  If your stack is working fine and you don't need any feature that requires a newer version of IOS, I would not upgrade at this time. 

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Break your stack. I do not recommend you have seven or more switches in a stack.
2. Stay with 12.2(55)SE. If you want/can, upgrade to 12 .2(55)SE7.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Thanks all. I'll stick with the version I have. If it ain't broke, why fix it right?

Hi Leo, thanks for the insight on limiting the number of switches in the stack. Could you elaborate more for my own knowledge and also to help me build a case for my manager to spare some cash for 10 Gigabit GBICs if I decide to break the stack. What issues can take place with 7 or more switches?

If it ain't broke, why fix it right?

That's one view.  How old is the specific version of IOS are you running?  How many vulnerability bugs have been discovered since then. 

What issues can take place with 7 or more switches?

The best example is to create a stack of two and then, say, run an "interface range" command between the two.  In majority of the cases in 3750 fleet I've encountered, there's a significant "lag" with seven or more switches in a stack.

Not much but if you've got other processing, it could potentially spin your stack.

Hi Leo, the version we are running is 12.2(55)SE1 which I don't believe is too old.

I agree when I run sh run or other large commands, switch stack does take a few seconds to respond. But I'm wandering if it's also having any issues in the control plane. We have a large number of servers on these 8 switches. Could they be experiencing slowness or lag just with normal data flow?

Also on a related note, is there any harm in having a large number of servers on a single VLAN? We are talking approx. 160.

12.2(55)SE1 which I don't believe is too old.

The following comments are based on facts and I'm being transparent.  At the end of the day, YOU own the network.  I'm just expressing my opinion, so I hope you don't get offended.

1.  12.2(55)SE1 was released back in 2010.  In MY opinion, it's old.  

2.  The train 12.2(55)SE train didn't get "stable" until 12.2(55)SE5.  There were bugs I observed from SE to SE4.  SE5, SE6 and especially SE7, in my humble opinion, is the most stable IOS Cisco has ever released.  And believe me, I've tested and tried everything from 12.2(44)SE up to the now-defunct 15.0(2)SE3.  12.2(55)SE7, hands-down, wins by a significant wide margin in terms of stability and reliability.  Nuts, now I'm beginning to sound like a Caterpillar salesman. 

I agree when I run sh run or other large commands, switch stack does take a few seconds to respond. But I'm wandering if it's also having any issues in the control plane. We have a large number of servers on these 8 switches. Could they be experiencing slowness or lag just with normal data flow?

In my personal opinion, it's your stack.  I will never stack seven (or more) switches together.  The max I have put is five and I have to "give in", then six is my "magic number".  Anything more than seven (7) and I tell them to do something to their human anatomy themselves.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Hi Leo, the version we are running is 12.2(55)SE1 which I don't believe is too old.

I know many subscribe to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", yet subsequent patch releases are usually for things that were broke and are now fixed (hopefully with out breaking something else - which I've seen even Cisco do).  Personally, I hate spending time analyzing a "new" problem issue, to find it's a known bug that was fixed 2 years ago.  As Leo notes, 12.2(55)SE7 appears rather solid.  So if you're happy with the features in that release, I too would suggest moving to that release.

I've never worried too much about cli command time on a 3750 stack or other devices.  In fact I have several 6509s populated with seven 96 port cards - port range across all their 672 ports takes some time.  CRS-1s, I've used, often are very "sluggish" at the cli.  If the scheduler is doing things "right", time for execution of the cli commands shouldn't interfere with other control plane functions, as ideally cli command execution would have a lower priority.

As to having a large number of servers, or a large number of hosts, much depends on whether your 3750 stack is using StackWise or StackWisePlus.  The former performs "roughly" like an Ethernet hub, the latter, for unicast, performs (very) "roughly" like a bus (or perhaps token ring).  The latter also has twice the raw stack bandwidth of the former.  Neither performs like a chassis fabric.

Basically, for StackWise, if your stack's aggregate concurrent bandwidth can exceed 32 Gbps, you may see performance issues.  For this reason, breaking a large StackWise stack might increase data plane performance.  For StackWisePlus (unicast), you're probably better stacking units up to stack max, although ideally really busy hosts that pass traffic to each other, would be on the same stack member (or perhaps stack member ring adjacent).

Also on a related note, is there any harm in having a large number of servers on a single VLAN? We are talking approx. 160.

Generally same issues whenever hosts share the same collision domain.  I.e. "servers", alone shouldn't matter too much, unless they have some atypical traffic.

This stack (knock on wood) has been up and running for 2 years plus without any major issues. If I decide to upgrade the IOS, with my luck, I'm afraid something somewhere is going to "break". Thats my biggest fear and being the lone ranger (network guy) in my company, all the server guys are going have a field day blaming everything on the network (which they do anyways). I've seen it happen many times in the past.

But I will keep it on my radar and find a way to upgrade the IOS sooner than later to SE7. I totally appreciate all your great suggestions.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card